What's new

Switch from att to verizon for IP5?

Jdsmitty10

Reaction score
I have been on AT&T since the Cingular days.. Never had a problem with signal, dropped calls etc.. Been happy with AT&T. Now looking at the coverage maps where I'm located/where my hometown is(moving back eventually) AT&T doesn't even have 4g let alone LTE.. Now looking at Verizon's maps and from seeing my parents verizon LTE coverage on their home network it seems like a no brainer to make the switch to Verizon.. Where I live now and my hometown both have LTE Verizon coverage.. Any reason why I shouldn't switch? I don't have unlimited AT&T or anything to keep me with them.. I do read that att has faster 3g and 4g but 4g isnt even in my area right now..Thoughts? Comments? Input? Pricing seems pretty much the same for share everything plans... Thanks!

Sounds like you've already put up the good points of switching. You'll be able to go straight into having LTE coverage... and blazing data speeds compared to what you're using now. The only thing I could see you missing, if you even use it at all, would be using voice & data at the same time. This isn't possible w/ the CDMA iPhone 5's.

Forgot to include my current pricing in first post.

Right now on AT&T we have the family plan with 550 min w/ rollover(over 3000 rollover mins accumulated),200 texts per phone, and 200mb data per iPhone. 2 iPhones on plan. Total cost with fees with a 15% work discount is $105.. I definitely want to add to my data but my wife really wouldn't use much more so doesn't care to upgrade her data limits. So on AT&T I could upgrade for $15 more a month for 3gb all for myself.. Totaling about $120 on my bill. I used to have text overage problems before iMessage came about. Now I never go over texts. With 3k rollover we donthave to worry about minutes either. Now if I go to Verizon I would have to go with the share everything plans which would be nice to not have any min or text worries and probably share 2gb(to see how much we use at first) between 2 iPhones which would basically be for my iPhone since she really doesn't use that much data. Verizon's price before fees and bs would be $140(18% discount or work would take some off that but the fees would put it at I would guess 140ish.. So.. Save 20ish bucks a month, get 1gb more data, talk and surf, not have 4g or LTE on At&t for who knows how long in my area or pay an extra 20ish/month for unlimited talk, text, and 2gb shared data w/ 4g LTE coverage on Verizon? Lol decisions decisions.. How long is AT&T gonna take to catch up to Verizon?

I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon, went from 3GS to a 5. I had to give up the unlimited data plan with AT&T for Verizon's 1 gig/month. To my surprise after seeing how much data I actually use with AT&T, the 1 gig with Verizon should be more than enough for me. The selling point for me was the actual cell phone coverage around the restricted job site I am currently employed at.

IMO, it seems as though the OP has already made up his mind in switching. I say go for it as there is nothing really to lose at this point.

Last edited:
I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon, went from 3GS to a 5. I had to give up the unlimited data plan with AT&T for Verizon's 1 gig/month. To my surprise after seeing how much data I actually use with AT&T, the 1 gig with Verizon should be more than enough for me. The selling point for me was the actual cell phone coverage around the restricted job site I am currently employed at.

IMO, it seems as though the OP has already made up his mind in switching. I say go for it as there is nothing really to lose at this point.

If people who have unlimited data looked at how much they actually use I think the majority would be shocked. I can save $20.00 a month by going with a family share and 4 gb.

lol, but I won't do it until I have to. I don't know why but losing the "unlimited" kind of makes me feel that I'm getting ripped off but the reality is I'd be better off.

Anyway check your statements for how much use you use.

Somebody said you can't surf the net and be on the phone. True, but if you are on wifi you can. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I have never talked on the phone and surfed on my 4.. I really don't talk on the phone in general. I dot think I will miss that feature. I think I am decided on goin to Verizon. Just makes sense to have the faster network for the faster phone.. Thanks or the input!

I just switched to Verizon from ATT for the iPhone 5 and it was worth the change.

The only problem I had was I was talking on my Bluetooth while traveling home one day and using the GPS. I made a turn against what the GPS was telling me and it couldn't reroute me because I was on the phone. This was the only time I have ever run into a problem with the data/talk thing. Other then that, I don't use Voice and data at the same time.

I am on AT&T and would miss the Data while talking option. Can't count how many times I will look something up while on the phone. If you have been around since Cingular ( I have as well ) you will also lose your arrears billing.

Smitty said:
I am on AT&T and would miss the Data while talking option. Can't count how many times I will look something up while on the phone. If you have been around since Cingular ( I have as well ) you will also lose your arrears billing.

Your what billing? I actually have been with AT&T since before Cingular. My kids were just playing with an old phone of mine that said AT&T on it from a long time ago before they switched to Cingular. Unless I'm not aware they were Cingular before being AT&T? But what do u mean by your "arrears" billing? I'm guessing its a typo

Well I went to te mall to both AT&T and Verizon to look at iPhone 5's to try to figure out what color I want. After seeing how scratched the black was I am def getting white. But one thing I noticed was the Verizon iPhone was showing 3G. Walked across the mall and the AT&T one was showing 4g. I asked Verizon about it they said they were testing towers. But what's up with that? According to maps there is no 4g AT&T in my area but it had it in the store and there is supposedly 4g Verizon and there wasn't any in te store.

First off 4G on AT&T does not mean LTE, it means HSPA+. HSPA+ is a 3G cellular signal. If the phone doesn't show LTE, then there isn't a tower within range. And inside of a Mall it can be very hit or miss because almost all Malls only use 3G repeaters internally. LTE repeaters are a ways off.