What's new

Suddenly no sound on push notifications!

Just seen the facebook app was updated. I downloaded it and still have no sound.

No matter where the blame lies here, I can't believe either company would allow this to go on like this. Apple is supposed to be the "it just works" device. I can hear the Android users gloating over this one now. This issue has gone on for far too long. Whether its an iOS issue or a Facebook issue, it's been long enough. Someone needs to step up and fix this right away. My money is on this being a Facebook issue, so how 'bout it, hah.

OK so I can now say I have no idea what the **** is the matter! I thought
with iOS6 it might fix it, I was wrong. So then I started blaming it on the
actual FB app. Well just received and update from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and the
problem is still occurring. I am at a loss for words!

Well, as it seems that Facebook are sitting on their laurels over this I have been working on a solution for the interim period.

What I have done is go back to using the more than capable mobile site, for notifications I use push email (my email for fb is a gmail one so it can be set up as an exchange account).

Then, under the new mail heading in the notification centre it is possible to set up all the email accounts with separate notification tones, so I selected tri-tone for Facebook. (iOS 6 only).

As the Facebook integration is signed into separately in the settings all the integration of iOS 6 still works, so at this point you can delete the Facebook app completely if desired till they sort their sh1t out!!

And another thing too, mobile safari now seems to support the uploading of files via the browser since the update, so you can even use the mobile site to do that too, not that it's a problem anyway since being able to do it via the gallery, just something I noticed that's useful to know.

And another thing yet, use the "create shortcut to home screen" option in the browser to create yourself a nice replacement Facebook icon ;)

Last edited:
I think Facebook or apple needs to update this. I talked to someone that's on At&t and they told me they was able to get the notifications on her phone.

I have the iPhone 5 and FB notifications are not working (sounds). It is not a Apple or OS problem. It is a fix that FB has to do. Many people have the same problem. People tried everything. I believe that we all have to wait for the next FB update.

Once in a while today I've had sound. Hit or miss, not consistent. So strange.

I'm on Verizon with a iPhone 4S running ios 6 and am also having issues with Facebook and words with friends neither are giving a sound or vibration. I get badge icons for Facebook but not for words with friends.
I have restored like 3 times ,uninstalled and reinstalled both apps also double checked all my notifications settings and still no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net