What's new

Still Running 10.3.3. Convince Me to Switch

NoBite

Reaction score
I’ve been holding off upgrading my iPhone 6 to IOS 11, waiting for the bugs to be worked out. Seems to be taking a long time. Is it time to finally make the switch? Why? Or, why not?

I am too still on 10.1.1. I'm afraid if I upgrade I will lose some photos & videos that are on my phone. That happened last time I upgraded. Does anyone know for sure if that will happen if I install iOS 11?

I am too still on 10.1.1. I'm afraid if I upgrade I will lose some photos & videos that are on my phone. That happened last time I upgraded. Does anyone know for sure if that will happen if I install iOS 11?
Updating should install a new software on your iPhone, nothing else should be affected. To make sure this can’t happen again, however, import the images and videos to a computer before updating, or save them somewhere else, maybe online.

I’ve been holding off upgrading my iPhone 6 to IOS 11, waiting for the bugs to be worked out. Seems to be taking a long time. Is it time to finally make the switch? Why? Or, why not?
Apple always includes security features in updates. This is one of the main reasons why you should stay up to date. No idea whether or not you’ve heard about Spectre and Meltdown (major CPU security flaws, all iDevices are affected):
Apple: All Mac & iOS devices affected by Spectre & Meltdown flaws, but there are ‘no known exploits’

With 11.2.2, Apple addresses one of those. The other one has been addressed with 11.2, afaik. The latest update is recommended for all users.

If yu are concerned about photos back up your phone to your computer using iTunes. You can import all pictures into the computer photo app Then back your computer up. Your photos are more at risk if your phone is stolen than upgrading the operating system.

The biggest issue I face when supporting customers they do not back up any thing.
I recommend dual back up both iCloud and also via iTunes. As others have said the security of your phone is at risk if you do not upgrade. In addition new features have been added.

Not necessarily. If you took care of your iPhone’s battery, it will work as before the update.

That's what I wondered. I have replaced the battery. The security issues do concern me a bit. Other than that I've seen nothing compelling in IOS 11. I have installed it on my iPad Air2. Hoping there's something great that I am overlooking.

I'm missing something, I'm sure. There are any number of sources offering free backups, even after you use up the free five gigs Apple allows.

Back up to iTunes on a pc or Mac is free
Besides adding storage is cheap cheap cheap. Back up to iCloud is encrypted. Back up to iTunes requires you as user to click encrypted then enter a password that you can remember. I use both to provide added protection

Why should we convince you, aren’t you an adult?
Make up your own mind