What's new

Steal an iphone, just switch sim?

pconnornc

Reaction score
I'm dealing w/ a stolen iphone 4 w/ AT&T. I have mobileme turned on, but from what I understand from AT&T, all someone has to do is just go into a store and get a new sim card and they can reset the phone, plug it in and there is no way to track it.

Is that correct? Is there no way for AT&T to track/check if someone has a stolen imei # they are trying to use?

pconnornc said:
I'm dealing w/ a stolen iphone 4 w/ AT&T. I have mobileme turned on, but from what I understand from AT&T, all someone has to do is just go into a store and get a new sim card and they can reset the phone, plug it in and there is no way to track it.

Is that correct? Is there no way for AT&T to track/check if someone has a stolen imei # they are trying to use?

AT&T can only block the imei and they wont help you track it. it's highly unlikely you'll ever see the phone again.

pconnornc said:

AT&T can only block the imei and they wont help you track it. it's highly unlikely you'll ever see the phone again.

I've read many reports that they do not EVEN do that :

Apple / AT&T Condone iPhone Theft? (The S Word Blog)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=452910

Last edited: