What's new

Sr. Citizen Questions Re WiFi Or Verizon Network Usage ?

Bob11

Reaction score
Hello,

Sr. Citizen, very, now, so please bear with me a bit.

Using son's iPhone 6

Very confused over how to have it use the Verizon network, or selecting the house WiFi (thru our Router).

I go to Settings

I select WiFi

I turn the Slider On (green)

It finds the Router's name that I use with my Comcast Modem (& desktop PC)
to be able to use my iPad wirelessly in another room..

I also have:

Ask to Join Networks to On (green)

There is text right under this that says: 'Known networks will be joined automatically.
If no known networks are available, you will be asked before joining a new network."

(this message stays the same irrespective of the position of "Ask to join Networks" slider)

So, under what I outlined above is it using the house WiFi that it found
or the Verizon network ?

If it finds new networks (with the above settings) will it "automatically" use one of them, or do you have to select it ?

And, my major question: how can I "force" it to use the Verizon network ?

I guess all of this boils down to how to switch between the/any WiFi's
it finds (and how to select a particular one, or have it autmatically select and use)
and how to have it use the Verizon network.

Please assume you are dealing with a complete idiot with this, as I'm not as sharp with this kind of "stuff" as I used to be. Will blame it on old age now.

Really specific and detailed instructions and explanation would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much, appreciate the help,

Bob

Hi Bob,
When you select WIFI and it shows you your house network tap on it, It should then ask for the Wireless key, This should be on the back of your Router, Once you input that click on Join.
That should be it.

I'm not sure how you would "force" it to use Verizon's network, (I'm in the UK) When I look in my own iPhone all the Networks that come up are locked, (They have a little padlock on them) so they can't be accessed anyway.

The only way I know of to force an iPhone to use cellular data when WiFi is available is to turn off WiFi.