What's new

Sprint will not charge extra for FaceTime; AT&T & Verizon Still Undecided

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
facetime-icon.jpeg

According to recent reports AT&T may start charging users for using FaceTime in future iOS 6 devices. With this information in hand, the people over at The Wall Street Journal got curious and wanted to know the plans of the other big American carriers. They were interested particularly in the announcement made by Sprint, who claims they will be keeping FaceTime free of charge:

“We are committed to our unlimited data and that means not charging for data consumption based on the application,” a spokeswoman for Sprint said.

So far Sprint is the last carrier in the US to offer unlimited data plans to new and current customers and has solemnly promised to do so even when the newest iconic iPhone will be unleashed on the market later this year.

The third US carrier behemoth, Verizon Wireless, did not respond immediately to WSJ’s enquires but in the end released a pretty shady statement to another publication:

“The timing of any pricing conversations related to future versions of iOS is premature.”

Even with this statement in mind, high chances exist that Verizon will choose to follow Sprint’s path as information has leaked according to which tests performed on the Verizon version of the iPad do not temper FaceTime usage.

By Radu

Source: AT&T Hints at Charges for FaceTime Users on its Cell Network - WSJ.com

As a long time iPhone user but new AT&T user if they try to charge me for face-time i will be terminating my contract and go with another company

Thats hysterical! It's probably because they know their network is so pathetic and slow that it will never handle FaceTime over cellular anyway - so no one will be able to use it. It's basically a non-issue. It's like if I tell someone they can drive my Kia at 200mph all they want. It will never hit that speed, so I don't have to worry about it happening.

It takes me 10 minutes (no, that's not hyperbole) to download an average size app. I gave up on streaming ANY kind of videos about 2 weeks after I was unlucky enough to fall for Sprints unlimited data scam. So their grandiose promises about not charging for FaceTime use are pretty dang empty.

About 15 months to go and I am free from this joke of a cell company. They brag how they don't cap you like Verizon does - but at least Verizon lets you have SOME fast data. It seems that Sprint just avoids this by actually STARTING you at a capped speed.

....but, no.... I'm not bitter lol

Take care,
Rob

Thats hysterical! It's probably because they know their network is so pathetic and slow that it will never handle FaceTime over cellular anyway - so no one will be able to use it. It's basically a non-issue. It's like if I tell someone they can drive my Kia at 200mph all they want. It will never hit that speed, so I don't have to worry about it happening.

It takes me 10 minutes (no, that's not hyperbole) to download an average size app. I gave up on streaming ANY kind of videos about 2 weeks after I was unlucky enough to fall for Sprints unlimited data scam. So their grandiose promises about not charging for FaceTime use are pretty dang empty.

About 15 months to go and I am free from this joke of a cell company. They brag how they don't cap you like Verizon does - but at least Verizon lets you have SOME fast data. It seems that Sprint just avoids this by actually STARTING you at a capped speed.

....but, no.... I'm not bitter lol

Take care,
Rob

I'm not very fond of sprint either. But you need to realize that it all depends on your location. If you weren't impressed with their service, why didn't you terminate it in the first month when you are allowed to for free?

I will admit, the data speeds are terrible. But it doesn't take me 10 minutes to download an app. I get about 1.5mbps which is by no means good. But it is fast enough to stream movies and YouTube videos with no interruptions. But that is 3G. My mom has an Evo shift on sprint 4g and gets 10mbps which is good considering sprints WiMax network is nothing compared to LTE. Her 4g also never has issues like the 3G does. So when this new iPhone comes out with 4g capabilities, I will be a happy man. True unlimited uncapped data on a new iPhone with speeds of 10mbps is more than fine with me.

I would never switch to another company because I love not ever having to worry about going over my data limit. I use more than 10gb a month so that is essential for me to have unlimited data.

But to each his own. I will admit Verizon is the best. There's no argument there. AT&T is fast when it works. But I'd rather have slower speeds and unlimited than anything. That's why I went with sprint while knowing beforehand that speeds were to be desired. Also it's cool that they won't charge for FaceTime.

All true - I suppose. But in MY neck of the woods, their "unlimited data" is EXTREMELY limited, in the aspect that unless you want to do some basic "facebookin'" (it's a word!) or some "twittering" (thats a word too!), you are kinda out of luck.

Like I said - 10 minutes to download an app, YouTube is not an option. And I am NOT alone. It's actually refreshing to hear someone have good things to say about Sprint (there aren't many of you ya know...), it gives me hope that someday maybe Sprint will fix their ridiculous excuse for a network in my area and I wont have to drop them like a bad habit the SECOND my contract is over. That is my current plan - to go running back to Verizon knowing that, even with the limits and high price - the data will at least be usable.

....right now, the only TRULY unlimited thing about my data plan is the amount of buffer time needed to play 3-4 seconds of a YouTube vide :(

Take care,
Rob

oh, and I still maintain (seriously) that the reason Sprint does not intend to charge for FaceTime is they know their network can't really do it, so it will be unusable - at least by the majority of their customers - so no one will. It becomes a non issue. They say they wont charge for it - good PR - no one can actually DO it, no actual extra strain on the network. Just good business.

Take care,
Rob

In the end... I don't think any of them will charge for Facetime. As Supahrob mentioned above... it's all about PR for the whole "Facetime over 3G/4G" deal. They'll all make a big show out of not being sure to BOOM the interest in it... they finally say, "After intense market studies and many hours of independent testing... we've decied that we will not charge for FT." Cause really... no matter how you slice it... Facetime over the cellular network uses data. And data is data no matter how you look at it.

i doubt they will do it...
i mean it would be bad for business to verizon/ATT...
im pretty sure they well bend over....

I've seen news confirming Sprint offers Facetime for free, while AT&T will add extra burden to their consumer's telecommunication budget... I'm wondering what would Verizon choose this time.. I never had an issue with Verizon but if they will opt to charge people for using Facetime for unreasonable amount, I don't mind changing telecom provider....

ive been a long time iphone and att user. since the 2nd gen iphone came out with ATT. but if they start charging for facetime, i will either leave them or stop using the iphone and get an itouch or something