What's new

Sprint Billing

beechjetdriver

Reaction score
Pre-ordered the iPhone 4S, 32gb on 7 October along with AppleCare+. My credit card was charged the full amount on the 8th.

Today I received my Sprint bill via email, and it was more than twice the normal bill. Our bill is normally debited automatically from our bank account.

Upon closer examination I discovered that they were charging me again for my iPhone and AppleCare+ as well as my monthly bill from the past month and next month. Even though the email receipt I received for my iPhone and AppleCare+ indicated my credit card charges went toward my purchase, Sprint applied the charges against my normal monthly service AND charged me again for my new iPhone and AppleCare+.

just wanted to forewarn other Sprint users that they may see the same thing.

You're first bill will always be higher than normal. FYI.

I've been with Sprint for more than 10 years, and have generally upgraded to a new phone every other year. This is the first time this has happened, where they took my credit card funds that I used to pay for the phone and diverted them to pay my account balance, instead of debiting my bank account to pay my account balance as they normally do on a monthly basis.

I did not authorize them to use my credit card to pay my monthly bill; that's my beef with their accounting.

Last edited:
beechjetdriver said:
I've been with Sprint for more than 10 years, and have generally upgraded to a new phone every other year. This is the first time this has happened, where they took my credit card funds that I used to pay for the phone and diverted them to pay my account balance, instead of debiting my bank account to pay my account balance as they normally do on a monthly basis.

I did not authorize them to use my credit card to pay my monthly bill; that's my beef with their accounting.

That's unauthorized use of a credit card. File a complaint and report it. You only expressed authorization to buy the handset. What they did is illegal.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I to had my iphone charged on my bill, I paid for it when i preordered it and it already showed up on cc statement, yet my sprint bill for this month has the charge for it and it's that much more with no credit showing up on it at all.

Well, got my first bill from Sprint since I bought the iPhone 4S in-store (and paid by debit card). My usual bill plus the $36 activation fee...that's it. Whew. After reading the posts above, I was getting worried that I would have to spend a lot of time on the phone hashing it out with Sprint.

abrisbin said:
I to had my iphone charged on my bill, I paid for it when i preordered it and it already showed up on cc statement, yet my sprint bill for this month has the charge for it and it's that much more with no credit showing up on it at all.

Yeah, that's interesting, considering Sprint has been saying they no longer will add a new handset purchase to a customer'a account/bill. But yet they went ahead and did just that, despite you paying for it up front.

Not allowing to charge to the account is an inconvenience to me. I like being able to charge things to my account and pay them off at the same time I get my service bill. Good for when I'm down on cash a the moment. Never before had a problem with doing it this way. They really stuck it to long time customers like me (especially those of us who've been with Sprint for over ten years) by implementing big changes like this plus getting rid of the Premier benefits, doubling activation fees and charging fees for things they never used to. I can see that for new customers but why punish those who have fed them consistently for years?

Mtnmedic said:
Yeah, that's interesting, considering Sprint has been saying they no longer will add a new handset purchase to a customer'a account/bill. But yet they went ahead and did just that, despite you paying for it up front.

Not allowing to charge to the account is an inconvenience to me. I like being able to charge things to my account and pay them off at the same time I get my service bill. Good for when I'm down on cash a the moment. Never before had a problem with doing it this way. They really stuck it to long time customers like me (especially those of us who've been with Sprint for over ten years) by implementing big changes like this plus getting rid of the Premier benefits, doubling activation fees and charging fees for things they never used to. I can see that for new customers but why punish those who have fed them consistently for years?

I work for Sprint and totally agree with you on this policy change. It affects us as employees in the store too. I wasn't thrilled at all with that change of policy. Your pain is felt on the other side of the counter as well my friend.

xboxmahoney

xboxmahoney said:
I work for Sprint and totally agree with you on this policy change. It affects us as employees in the store too. I wasn't thrilled at all with that change of policy. Your pain is felt on the other side of the counter as well my friend.

xboxmahoney
I don't know why they did this (I work for Sprint too). My manager told me is just some type of security. Every phone that leaves our inventory must be paid for. I agree you do lose sales and is a huge inconvenience, but at least we can still bill the cases to the account.

It frustrates me too because you can see their BTA eligibility and see they are trustworthy (especially long term customers).

Off note, I switched to iPhone because of the ridiculous $11 a month for these POS Android phones. The new EVO LTE reboot itself 3 times in the first half hour out on display.

Dj21o said:
I don't know why they did this (I work for Sprint too). My manager told me is just some type of security. Every phone that leaves our inventory must be paid for. I agree you do lose sales and is a huge inconvenience, but at least we can still bill the cases to the account.

It frustrates me too because you can see their BTA eligibility and see they are trustworthy (especially long term customers).

Off note, I switched to iPhone because of the ridiculous $11 a month for these POS Android phones. The new EVO LTE reboot itself 3 times in the first half hour out on display.

Sounds legit. I was told it was because of the release of the iPhone. Supposedly, BTA brought a risk of fraud. Sprint was worried that people would BTA 5 iPhones and run and resell because when it first launched, they came unlocked. Oh well, it is what it is. At leased CL can BTA. Especially WSCA.

xboxmahoney

beechjetdriver said:

Customers don't get it. Whether you buy a phone or pay your bill, the account number is the same. So if you have a balance and you buy a phone, it goes to the entire acct. so yes, the charge for the phone will be billed to your acct. It all evens out in the end. You authorized them to make a payment on your acct. Whether it be for a phone or your balance, it's all the same. Frustrating, consumers can't grasp that.

xboxmahoney said:
Sounds legit. I was told it was because of the release of the iPhone. Supposedly, BTA brought a risk of fraud. Sprint was worried that people would BTA 5 iPhones and run and resell because when it first launched, they came unlocked. Oh well, it is what it is. At leased CL can BTA. Especially WSCA.

xboxmahoney

Yeah it was because of the iPhone. I overheard someone else talking about it. Its crazy people sell them over in Europe for that much money. And completely DESTROY their credit in the process lol.

I bought an iphone 4 from Radio Shack and paid for it and Apple care with a Radio shack card. Sprint billed me for Apple care. It took numerous calls to Sprint and Apple to get it removed from my bill. I even had to take my receipt showing I paid for the phone and Apple care by the Sprint store. Don't know why the thought they could charge apple care on my acct.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net on Sprint