What's new

Sprint announces it is ready to embrace iPhone 5 and LTE

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
sprint_iphone.jpg

Even though Sprint was technically the first carrier with 4G service, their WiMAX never really took off, and now LTE seems to be the dominant 4G technology. AT&T and Verizon waited a bit longer and began adopting this tech instead which has now put them ahead of Sprint. It is possible that they will remain ahead in the battle for carrier supremacy once the rumored 4G capable iPhone 5 comes out. However, Sprint's CFO, Joe Euteneuer, recently made a statement refuting that. In fact, Sprint has been aggressively working toward changing their network over to LTE as well.

While speaking at the Bank of America’s Media, Entertainment & Communications, Euteneuer made a few comments that sparked the interest of the audience regarding the Apple iPhone,

“Steve [Elfman, president of Sprint's network operations and wholesale,] and his team have been relentless on watching the existing network to make sure that we are spending the capital we need and to make sure we don’t create a bad user experience–irrespective of all the rumors. In terms of the demand and network usage generated by selling the iPhone, we’re going to stay ahead of it.”

One of the other questions is whether or not the future iPhone 5 will still enjoy an unlimited data plan with Sprint, if/when they carry the phone.

In addition to the Sprint rumors, T-Mobile has also been under suspicion of trying to make a deal with Apple regarding the iPhone 5. At this point everything remains in the speculation area since Apple has not yet officially announced the new iPhone will even have 4G LTE capabilities, but considering the new iPad comes packed with the feature, the next evolution in the handset department seems to be a sure thing.

By Radu

Source: Sprint Free To Offer Possible Future 4G LTE iPhones, CFO Says

we are spending the capital we need and to make sure we don’t create a bad user experience–irrespective of all the rumors

Thats a little amusing seeing as how it aint "rumors." The internet is FILLED with people complaining about the terrible quality of Sprints network AND Customer service. I know I can't wait till my contract is up. Worst network ever in my opinion. I know some people like it - but they seem to be the minority.

Take care,
Rob​