What's new

Some general questions

VRDaddy1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a cell phone since 1995 and I have used an Android smart phone since the beginning. I wanted something different and my friend who has also been on Android since the beginning switched to an iPhone 14 Pro Max and after 6 months he still absolutely loves it and said he will never go back. Based on that I bought an iPhone 14 Pro, just got it Friday and set it up Saturday. Very nice phone and I am very, very happy with it. Great piece of tech!

Just a few minor things I cannot figure out.

1. If I want to change the grid size so that I can have 5 icons across instead of 4 how can I do that?
2. I would also like 5 icons across the very bottom. How can I do that?
3. I would like my weather widget to be single row instead of double. It takes up too much space. How can I change that widget or any widget to single row?

That's about it. Just need to solve those issues and I will be a happy camper. I love everything else so far. I just need to adjust those sizes. Way too much wasted space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Mike!

Apple limits the number of app icons in the dock, so adding a fifth app is not possible. It‘s the same with the grid size. It‘s not possible to change that on a stock device.

I assume you‘re talking about your weather widget on the home screen. That depends on the app you‘re using for your widget. The built in Weather app allows three different sizes.
Go to the page with your widgets, scroll down to “Edit“. At the top left, tap the + sign. Then search for the weather app you’re using. Don’t select the suggestions you get for widgets.
D61902F7-C777-44AC-A594-36EEC6255DAD.png

Tap the app, then take a look at your options and choose the one you prefer, and tap “Add Widget” at the bottom.
3786E5C2-2CDF-4C5B-968C-2E4E75B34874.png

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Mike!

Apple limits the number of app icons in the dock, so adding a fifth app is not possible. It‘s the same with the grid size. It‘s not possible to change that on a stock device.

I assume you‘re talking about your weather widget on the home screen. That depends on the app you‘re using for your widget. The built in Weather app allows three different sizes.
Go to the page with your widgets, scroll down to “Edit“. At the top left, tap the + sign. Then search for the weather app you’re using. Don’t select the suggestions you get for widgets.
View attachment 70685
Tap the app, then take a look at your options and choose the one you prefer, and tap “Add Widget” at the bottom.
View attachment 70686
Hope that helps.
Hi, thank you for the reply. Ok, hopefully Apple will allow the grid size change in the future.

Yes, the weather widget on the home screen. I want it to just be a single row across the top instead of using 2 rows. I couldn't find a way to make any widgets a single row. Maybe I can get creative and use 4 different, single icon size widgets so they go across the top. My ocd can't handle one widget the size of an icon. lol.

This is a really nice phone. I really do love it and I am enjoying the switch.

Hi all,

I have had a cell phone since 1995 and I have used an Android smart phone since the beginning. I wanted something different and my friend who has also been on Android since the beginning switched to an iPhone 14 Pro Max and after 6 months he still absolutely loves it and said he will never go back. Based on that I bought an iPhone 14 Pro, just got it Friday and set it up Saturday. Very nice phone and I am very, very happy with it. Great piece of tech!

1. If I want to change the grid size so that I can have 5 icons across instead of 4 how can I do that?
3. I would like my weather widget to be single row instead of double. It takes up too much space. How can I change that widget or any widget to single row?

That's about it. Just need to solve those issues and I will be a happy camper. I love everything else so far. I just need to adjust those sizes. Way too much wasted space.

Mike

Hi all,

Mike

Hi.
Btw I, too, have been on Android since the beginning (G1) and then bought iPhones in the last few years and now an Apple Watch.
As to the icons in the dock, you can only have 4 of them as J.A. said, but you can group apps in a folder and have folders in the dock as well.