What's new

Software update issue

emiller729

Reaction score
I received a notification that I needed to update the software for my iPhone 4S. After 3+ hours of downloading, I received an error update saying my firmware file is not compatible. What does this mean and how can I correct the issue? The computer I was using for the update is a PC.

Thank you!

Plugged into iTunes. It took 3+ hours to download, and then I got the firmware message.

try OTA as the iphone will download only whats new in the newer firmware so instead of downloading 800mb it will download 200mb or so depending on whats new in the firmware

I had the same problem after restoring my new iPhone 4S from an iPod Touch (apps, data). iTunes would refuse to install the 5.0.1 update; I did a full reset of the phone and was then able to install the update via Wi-Fi. I'm not restoring the iPod stuff back again to avoid conflicts. Pretty disappointed with Apple because they've made it really hard to transfer stuff from one device to another. To do the full reset (you will loose the data and media) go to Settings - General - Reset and choose Erase all content and settings. I did back up (Synced) my contacts into Windows Address Book and was able to restoring without any dramas. Hope this helps