What's new

So you can't jailbreak The latest IOS?

Grimreaper

Reaction score
So I'm getting my friends Iphone 4, And I'm not for sure If I'm gonna jailbreak it yet when I get it, But I have a question or two.
I hear that If you update to the newest IOS you can't jailbreak it and would have to downgrade somehow in order to be able to. Why can't the latest IOS be jailbroken?
Also, Is there any certain things that I should know, Like If it has to be unlocked, or anything else, For you to be able to jailbreak it?

The latest ios (5.1.1) can be jailbroken with redsn0w. What carrier do you plan to use it on? And what carrier is it from?

5.1.1 can be jailbroken with absinthe 2.4 is latest version, do a search in this forum for it.

No a phone does not require to ever be unlocked to be jailbroken.

Ios 6 when it is comes out will not have a jailbreak unless the dev team can produce one at that time for it, so u never want to update ios that has no jailbreak if u want to stay jailbroken, also if you rely on a software unlock or a gevey type sim unlock you never want to upgrade ios as you will lose the unlock (unless you save the ssh blobs to retain the older baseband) just to note 90% of the newest basbands can not be unlocked by software or hardware, only the carrier can do so, until the hack teams can ever make something to do so we will never be able to unlock until our carrier lets us, well except in some countries the carriers will unlock at anytime.

5.1.1 can be jailbroken with absinthe 2.4 is latest version, do a search in this forum for it.

No a phone does not require to ever be unlocked to be jailbroken.

Ios 6 when it is comes out will not have a jailbreak unless the dev team can produce one at that time for it, so u never want to update ios that has no jailbreak if u want to stay jailbroken, also if you rely on a software unlock or a gevey type sim unlock you never want to upgrade ios as you will lose the unlock (unless you save the ssh blobs to retain the older baseband) just to note 90% of the newest basbands can not be unlocked by software or hardware, only the carrier can do so, until the hack teams can ever make something to do so we will never be able to unlock until our carrier lets us, well except in some countries the carriers will unlock at anytime.

So If you have a jailbroken Iphone, It will only stay jailbroken when you update to the newest IOS if there is a jailbreak made for the IOS? So essentially all the people with jailbroken devices wont upgrade to ios 6 for a while after it comes out until there is a jailbreak for it?

Grimreaper said:
So If you have a jailbroken Iphone, It will only stay jailbroken when you update to the newest IOS if there is a jailbreak made for the IOS? So essentially all the people with jailbroken devices wont upgrade to ios 6 for a while after it comes out until there is a jailbreak for it?

It will not stay jailbroken when you update. It will become stock, and then you would have to jailbreak that if it's available for that version of ios. If it's not available you have a choice either go stock or don't update until a jailbreak becomes available.

It will not stay jailbroken when you update. It will become stock, and then you would have to jailbreak that if it's available for that version of ios. If it's not available you have a choice either go stock or don't update until a jailbreak becomes available.

This would be correct if people wish to stay jailbroken don't update to ios 6 or any newer ios after that until a jailbreak has been made.

I for one will always wait for a Untethered Jailbreak.

So if you download a whole bunch of stuff off cydia, Does it dissapear when you update the ios? Then you have to start all over again?

Grimreaper said:
So if you download a whole bunch of stuff off cydia, Does it dissapear when you update the ios? Then you have to start all over again?

Hello, i want to join this thread XD, okay, yes if you upgrade, the jailbreak with its contains would be deleted, but there are ways to Backup your tweaks, and the main way to do so i know is to save the SHSH BLOBS, but if you ask me how can you do that, will then i suggest you to google it

You cannot just update a jb phone. You must restore it to the latest version of ios

h2olover1 said:
You cannot just update a jb phone. You must restore it to the latest version of ios

Wait... What do you mean?, if you mean that a JB-en phone cannot be normally updated, and must be updated using the restore, will i think your wrong then, because when i had 5.0.1 jailbroken, i had managed to easily upgrade it to 5.1.1 through the settings/general/software-update, but i lost the jailbreak, and if you meant another thing then please descript more :)

h2olover1 said:

This is incorrect.
If there is a newer version of firmware available you can just update to it and you'll just have a normal updated iPhone at the end of the update.

If you want to load the same version of ios that you currently have on it then you need to use one of the other methods of doing that.

zphone said:
This is incorrect.
If there is a newer version of firmware available you can just update to it and you'll just have a normal updated iPhone at the end of the update.

If you want to load the same version of ios that you currently have on it then you need to use one of the other methods of doing that.

Thats what i mentioned above ^ :)

Dark Dragon said:
Thats what i mentioned above ^ :)

Yes I realize that. You just sounded a bit unsure so thought I would confirm it.
;-)

Well thats what a kind member on here told me. You cannot update a jb phone thru software update in settings. It will cause a bootloop and force a restore