What's new

So iOS5 will be available for download this Wednesday the 12

iTunes WILL NOT install an iOS update until it finishes the download of the IPSW file. It also performs a CRC check to confirm the file is not corrupted. There should technically be no way for an overloaded server to affect your install.

yeah thats a nice feature of iTunes as it downloads first and then installs all locally so if theres problem its on your client end. the only issue i can see would be super slow download times but it'll be worth and if i had to guess apple is ready for these types of things and i could almost see the update being released in waves as apposed to all at once

Apple now has the data center and bandwidth to handle this type of release. In fact if memory serves, Apple has finally eclipsed even Facebook in server farm size.

is the "gold master" file the same as the final file that will be pushed out tonight?

edit: n/m, found answer... evidently it's essentially the same file 99% of the time, with the slight chance for some small changes before tonight's release

Last edited:
jnt_ip said:
is the "gold master" file the same as the final file that will be pushed out tonight?

edit: n/m, found answer... evidently it's essentially the same file 99% of the time, with the slight chance for some small changes before tonight's release

Thanks for finding your answer. Saved me from repeating myself.

so since i had gm beta will i be able to do ota update or will i have to still tether to computer to update

Ugh still waiting, no answers no solution just guessing and waiting

apple addict, gotta love it

I am assuming it will be released some time in the am around 7-10am pacific time.

Just curious to know if you have gm and you've been checking the software update section like I have are you getting same error saying unable to check for upgrade?

Taylorig said:
This guy has a very good point :D

But i'm pretty sure it's all safe as with most updates like this iTunes will firstly download the update before installing. So if it crashes on download, all is fine. It's if it crashes when installing were there could be problems but i would say that would be Client side issue's if anything.

I'll be checking iTunes most of the day if i'm being honest >_>. Hehe. Good luck everyone ;)

One only ever makes good points lol

I am getting that same error. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. Don't know what that means.

Well, I will be sitting by my computer promptly at 1pm EST! This feels like Christmas :)

Any news? Been waiting around all morning, was hoping I could update before I went to work :( dam!!! Lol