What's new

Smartphone Makers Asked to Add Safe Driving Measures to Phones

So I couldn't imagine what the Safety Police would think of CB radio now!? [emoji6]
Radio conversations back in the day tended to be much shorter than a typical cell phone conversation, meaning the distraction would have lasted for a much shorter time.

I have to be available at all times in my work truck so I use Bluetooth through the radio, but in my personal vehicle I turn the ringer off and put the phone in my glovebox. I figure we survived from the dawn of the automotive era without the phone I can do it until I am parked up and safe.

Woe, this is great thinking and it will be even amazing if Apple and Samsung could pull out something like that. I wish they become successful with this because we have become to our phones we often neglect the fact that someone could get injured or even die if we use phones while driving. Lets hope for better days ahead.

As long as people continue to drive, they'll find something to distract them while they're behind the wheel. No amount of legislation or voluntary safety measures can turn a bad driver into a good driver.

I can't for the life of me figure out how my phone whatever make it is, is going to add safety measures to my driving.
Make all Navigation gadgets switch off over 5 mph ridiculous, might have my passenger looking at it. But then what do l know l just a human

I can't for the life of me figure out how my phone whatever make it is, is going to add safety measures to my driving.
Make all Navigation gadgets switch off over 5 mph ridiculous, might have my passenger looking at it. But then what do l know l just a human
The proposed measures have no way of determining the difference between a driver and a passenger in a moving vehicle, which is why the proposed voluntary guidelines will never work as intended.

I know from my daughter that they tried to prevent car drivers from playing Pokemon. In vain. You just have to confirm that you are a passenger, then you're allowed to play.

I know from my daughter that they tried to prevent car drivers from playing Pokemon. In vain. You just have to confirm that you are a passenger, then you're allowed to play.

That's pretty well how Garmin GPS works. you have to OK a warning screen that advises you not to play with it while you are mobile. Once past the screen, you are free to play with it while mobile.

The satellite communications used in heavy vehicles often turn the screen off as soon as the parking brake is released. I suspect this is the way that phone manufacturers will go. Attempts to limit the apps available while driving would be open to abuse. I've already written a post attacking Apple Maps, from the point of view of a professional driver, and would not use it under any circumstances. However, if the OS could decide which apps were available while moving, Apple Maps would likely be the one, while Google Maps, a far better app, would be shut down. Of course, Google could petition Apple for their app to be whitelisted, but so could any number of other app developers. I'm pretty sure Apple would simply say "No"

And then there is the whole argument that Apple is producing something that allows limited use of their cell phones (Apple CarPlay) as do other cell manufacturers and developers. So, they are going to willingly give up something they use to sell their product? Doubtful. And I can't see CA residents supporting giving up their cell access to support a law change in their jurisdiction but these are my opinions.