What's new

Sleep/wake button not working well

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
Lately my sleep/wake button (top right corner) isn't working well.

It sometimes works so I turn the phone off and I try to turn it back on and it doesn't always work so I plug it in to charge, which turns it on. I hold the button down for a few seconds and it doesn't turn the phone off as it should.

Works sometimes but is irregular. It's an iPhone 5.

I've used the button a lot to put the phone into sleep so did I use it too much? What should I do?

I know of someone who had an iPhone 5 who used it for business. He was using that button constantly throughout the day. It only lasted him about a year and a half before he wore it out and started having problems like you describe. It's probably time to either have the button replaced or consider upgrading to a new phone. You can replace it yourself if you're a careful person good at following directions and working with small parts. Not for the faint of heart. See iFixit for parts and instructions.

The home-button and the sleep/wake-button are always subject to failure because these mechanic elements can easy break. I already exchanged buttons on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, but not on a newer iPhone..

Apple has a recall for some iphone 5. You can go to the web site and put in your serial number and it will tell you if yours is under recall. If it is Apple will replace it for free. You could take it to an apple store or call apple as well.

Apple has a recall for some iphone 5. You can go to the web site and put in your serial number and it will tell you if yours is under recall. If it is Apple will replace it for free. You could take it to an apple store or call apple as well.
I believe that relates to a number of early production iPhone 5's that had a defective battery and Apple would replace the battery for free even if the normal warranty had already expired.

Here's the website. https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Last edited:
I believe that relates to a number of early production iPhone 5's that had a defective battery and Apple would replace the battery for free even if the normal warranty had already expired.

Here's the website. https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/
Yes that is correct. My iphone 5 qualifying for it so maybe his will. The bad part about it is you have to send your phone out to get the work done. I'm going to send mine out when i get my iphone6. One thing I found that makes the sleep wake button work better is to press it on the left side of the button. Work much better that way.