What's new

Simple Transfer

Gozoman

Reaction score
I had a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop which caused me to have to roll it back almost a year to get it going properly again. During this process I lost a lot of photos. In particular I lost an album containing about a dozen panoramas which I did when I was on holiday. I have these backed up on my iPhone 5 and my iPad Air so I thought I could transfer them across. I downloaded an app called Simple Transfer the free version of which allows you to transfer the first 50 photos in an album. So this should work okay as there are no more than 12 panoramas. The problem is that whilst the album appears when I open photos in the iPhone and the iPad it doesn't show up on the laptop under either device. All the other albums are there. Why isn't it showing up?

The Panoramas album in Photos is automatically generated as soon as you add pictures of a certain size to the app. These images can also be found in Camera Roll. I suppose that's the reason why you can't see the Panoramas folder when you connect your iDevice to the computer. You'll have to search for them in your Camera Roll to transfer them to the computer.

The Panoramas album in Photos is automatically generated as soon as you add pictures of a certain size to the app. These images can also be found in Camera Roll. I suppose that's the reason why you can't see the Panoramas folder when you connect your iDevice to the computer. You'll have to search for them in your Camera Roll to transfer them to the computer.

Actually no. The album 'Panoramas' was one I created myself to hold these particular photos. They are not in camera roll. The only thing in there are a few recent photos and a few videos.

I wonder why the images are not in Camera Roll.

If you created the album on your iPhone or iPad, the photos in Panoramas should only be a pointer to those in Camera Roll.

Did you sync this folder to your devices through iTunes?

I wonder why the images are not in Camera Roll.

If you created the album on your iPhone or iPad, the photos in Panoramas should only be a copy of those in Camera Roll.

Did you sync this folder to your devices through iTunes?

After my hard drive crashed and I recovered to an earlier date I lost the sync settings. In fact the first time I connected the iPad and the iPhone to the laptop I got the, do you want to trust this computer question. When I checked in iTunes I found that all my sync settings were gone. Now my problem is that when I set the original albums to sync they will wipe all the photos off my iPad and iPhone and replace them with what is in those albums now on the laptop. If I do that I will lose the panoramas as the only place they exist at the moment is on the iPad and iPhone. I'm trying hard not to lose them as each one was made up of around 50 individual shots stitched together in PhotoShop. So I was trying to transfer them into a seperate folder on the laptop and then set the sync up again.

What if you save them to online storage (Box, Dropbox, ...), then load them to your computer, where you can put them into a folder, and then sync your devices to iTunes?

What if you save them to online storage (Box, Dropbox, ...), then load them to your computer, where you can put them into a folder, and then sync your devices to iTunes?

Might be an option although I've never used online storage before. Not even cloud as I don't trust it.

If the album doesn't appear, this might be your only option. You don't have to keep the photos there. As soon as they're on your computer, and successfully synced to your devices again, you can delete them from there.

If the album doesn't appear, this might be your only option. You don't have to keep the photos there. As soon as they're on your computer, and successfully synced to your devices again, you can delete them from there.

Yeah as I say it's an option. Maybe Apple will wake up at some stage and include a port for attaching a flash drive!

There's a wireless flash drive that works with iDevices: AirStash. You can't connect it to the iPhone or iPad directly (via USB), but it works via Wi-Fi, in combination with an app.

There's also iPocket Drive, which connects to the iPhone directly, via it's lightning port.
Or also iXpand Flash Drive from SanDisk, if you only need it for photos or videos.

Btw: if you synced the folder to your device using iTunes, you probably won't be able to remove the folder from your iDevice through syncing, because the original isn't on your computer any more.

Last edited:
There's a wireless flash drive that works with iDevices: AirStash. You can't connect it to the iPhone or iPad directly (via USB), but it works via Wi-Fi, in combination with an app.

There's also iPocket Drive, which connects to the iPhone directly, via it's lightning port.
Or also iXpand Flash Drive from SanDisk, if you only need it for photos or videos.

Btw: if you synced the folder to your device using iTunes, you probably won't be able to remove the folder from your iDevice through syncing, because the original isn't on your computer any more.

Never heard of those. Thanks. I'll look into them.

They're not common, most of them were developed last year. Maybe they'll be cheaper with time, as more people know they exist and use them.

Back to your problem:

Use software like iExplorer to save the photos to your PC.