What's new

Sim card is locked for a new Iphone

benyx

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a new Iphone 4s, then used it with FIDO carrier (canada). Yesterday, I tried to insert another carrier sim card, and it says that SIM IS INVALID. it looks like my iphone is locked for FIDO, i called FIDO they say it is not locked by them, i called Apple, they say it is carrier problem.. What should I do??? Anybody?!!!

Use an IMEI checker to finalize whether or not your device is unlocked.

Hi,

I bought a new Iphone 4s, then used it with FIDO carrier (canada). Yesterday, I tried to insert another carrier sim card, and it says that SIM IS INVALID. it looks like my iphone is locked for FIDO, i called FIDO they say it is not locked by them, i called Apple, they say it is carrier problem.. What should I do??? Anybody?!!!
Carriers request their phones be locked. But Apple does the locking or unlocking. Check IMEI checker online to see your phone's status. SIMS are never, themselves, locked. If your 4S is locked you'll need to pay for an unlock service to get it unlocked before the other SIM will work.

Thanks everybody!
So, checker says my carrier is roger and lock is unknown. What does it mean?

Check with another checker to see if there's still an unknown.

So, i had s talk with fido ( carrier) representative and he told me the following thing:
If you buy an iphone at apple store, it will be automaticly locked on the first carrier it is registeted with... So now my phone is locked on Rogers, who is "parent" of fido my current carrier.. So now fido, telling me it costs 50$!!! to unlock it!! Sounds very crazy to me. It is like blackmailing.. How can i fight them? Anybody can advice me?

Not blackmailing at all. Unlocked devices have a higher resell value on the market, and phones do not have to be given the ability to be unlocked. Carriers could easily ask you to buy one of their phones at full price if you want to use their carrier, or if you're traveling abroad, you must pay for a brand new device if you want to use their service, either prepaid or contracted. A one-time fee rendering your device globally usable at $50 is not a steep price. Sprint and Verizon in the US costs $150+ to unlock, lowest being $130

I understand it if i bought it at carrier's, but i bought it at apple store!! My carrier doesnt have my phone on my account.. I bought it at full price, what rights carrier have to lock it???

I understand it if i bought it at carrier's, but i bought it at apple store!! My carrier doesnt have my phone on my account.. I bought it at full price, what rights carrier have to lock it???
Your phone must have been locked when you bought it from Apple. Cellular carriers do not have the ability to lock a factory unlocked iPhone purchased directly from Apple.

Something went wrong, Benyx. If you paid factory unlocked price at Apple - NO carrier can lock it - since it's only Apple that does locking and unlocking. Go back to Apple with your receipt and tell them to unlock it for you. They will - as long as you can prove you paid full retail price (between $600-800).

Here in the UK all phones bought from Apple are unlocked and stay unlocked no matter what network sim you put in, If you want to buy a locked phoned you go to a phone shop, 02,3, Vodafone ect , I'm not sure how it works in other parts of the world but i would have thought a phone bought at Apple should stay sim free, Check with Apple as has been advised.

Here in the UK all phones bought from Apple are unlocked and stay unlocked no matter what network sim you put in, If you want to buy a locked phoned you go to a phone shop, 02,3, Vodafone ect , I'm not sure how it works in other parts of the world but i would have thought a phone bought at Apple should stay sim free, Check with Apple as has been advised.
In US.. Apple Store phones are sold in only 3 ways:
1)Locked to AT&T ($199/$299/$399)
2)Locked to Verizon ($199/$299/$399)
3)Factory Unlocked ($549/$649/$749)

In US.. Apple Store phones are sold in only 3 ways:
1)Locked to AT&T ($199/$299/$399)
2)Locked to Verizon ($199/$299/$399)
3)Factory Unlocked ($549/$649/$749)

Would amend it to GSM, CDMA and Factory unlocked as Apple is expanding their carrier options to quite a few others

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Would amend it to GSM, CDMA and Factory unlocked as Apple is expanding their carrier options to quite a few others
Not yet in the large Apple Stores on the East Coast of US. Still only AT&T & Verizon.