What's new

Signal strength?

coolhand5599

Reaction score
I had a 4 s with AT&T I just bought the 5 and switched to Verizon. The service is supposed to be better but it's worse. Is it possible to boost signal strength on the 5?

Are you referring to the phone signal? Like the number of bars?

First, Verizon has the best 4G LTE network. AT&T is famous for not having any signal. It just depends on where you are.

Go for a drive, you'll see more bars. But the thing is the number of bars is not important.

If that's what you're talking about.

Give Verizon a Call, may be a defective phone...

I think Verizon is the best, My wife and I had sprint and a friend of ours has AT&T and hates them...

Give Verizon a Call, may be a defective phone...

I think Verizon is the best, My wife and I had sprint and a friend of ours has AT&T and hates them...

If it happens everywhere he goes, yes. Or it could be a tower issue. Again, take it for a drive, if you still don't have bars then give Verizon a call. Don't go to a store, they'll hassle you to much for that.

My wife and I both have this problem were ever we go in the Tampa area

dial *228 i believe it is, it resets the default tower for the phone...

my moto razr had a better LTE signal then the 5, but most everything is faster on the 5 for some odd reason.

I have the i5 with verizon in NYC and when i compare it to my i4 which my wife has now the i5 has one bar less but no dropped calls or any problems. The phone is much faster in any way i have messured to my 4 and friends 4s. Maybe try doin a hard reset and hopefully fixes ur problem, gd luck

Last edited:
I was on AT&T with the iPhone 3GS and then was so pumped when I heard Verizon was finally getting the iPhone. As soon as my contract was up we switched back to Verizon thinking that if AT&T were as good as it was, Verizon would be 10x better. Wrong! As far as # of bars, I don't really know, but they both seem the same to me. To me AT&T picks up better in metal buildings. Verizon is a very temperamental service when it comes to where exactly you're at. But in terms of Internet speeds, AT&T KILLS Verizon! On my iPhone 4, I don't even bother watching YouTube videos because you have to wait about 3-5 minutes to give it time to load enough that you won't have to pause. We also just got LTE here with Verizon a few months back and we did some tests between Verizon's LTE on a friends phone vs AT&T's basic 4G on my boss's phone, both tests being on the iPhone 5. With maxed out bars on Verizon's LTE, the fasted speed through the speed test app that we could ever get is 9-10 mbps. Same test on AT&T's basic 4G network in the same place, which only had 2-3 bars of service, and we got a consistent 5-7 mbps. We were in Clemson last week for a golf tournament and I did a speed test on my boss's phone there since they have LTE on AT&T up there and I got 38 mbps with 3-4 bars of service. Verizon may have slightly more coverage area, but to me their Internet speeds have always been worthless.

coolhand5599 said:
I had a 4 s with AT&T I just bought the 5 and switched to Verizon. The service is supposed to be better but it's worse. Is it possible to boost signal strength on the 5?

Where I live there's no wi-fi or cable and I had maybe one bar on a good day. So I climbed on the roof and had 3 bars. Didn't do me any good inside the house though.
So I spent about $400 and installed a Wilson DB Pro Signal Booster system with an omnidirectional antenna on the roof. Solved all my problems. I now have a full signal whether it's AT&T or Verizon. The signal booster covers 800/1900 MHz and CDMA WCDMA GSM.
Don't know whether that would help you since you have to have A signal for the booster to work AND it's expensive!