What's new

shsh blobs?

intheb0x

Reaction score
Question
are
SHSH blobs iOS specific?

what i mean is,
my cdma iphone4 is on 4.2.9, can i get the shsh blobs off of it, then upgrade it to a newer os, then downgrade it via restore to 4.2.8 with the shsh blobs from 4.2.9?

can anyone help me out here?

thanks

SHSH blobs are not only iOS specific, they are also specific to each individual device since they are generated based on your ECID.

If you have not saved your 4.2.9 blobs already at this point, it is impossible to save them now. You also cannot use 4.2.9 blobs to downgrade to 4.2.8, you must have the 4.2.8 blobs.

You can only save the blobs for a certain firmware while Apple is signing that firmware. So right now you can only save 4.3.5/4.2.10 blobs, with one exception and that is a piece of software called iFaith developed by ih8sn0w, which lets you dump the SHSH of whatever firmware you are currently running, but it is very buggy right now so I wouldn't suggest using it.

SHSH blobs are not only iOS specific, they are also specific to each individual device since they are generated based on your ECID.

If you have not saved your 4.2.9 blobs already at this point, it is impossible to save them now. You also cannot use 4.2.9 blobs to downgrade to 4.2.8, you must have the 4.2.8 blobs.

You can only save the blobs for a certain firmware while Apple is signing that firmware. So right now you can only save 4.3.5/4.2.10 blobs, with one exception and that is a piece of software called iFaith developed by ih8sn0w, which lets you dump the SHSH of whatever firmware you are currently running, but it is very buggy right now so I wouldn't suggest using it.

so im not able to use tiny umbrella to save my shsh blobs from the current firmware 4.2.9 that i am using?

what would happen if i restored to 4.28 anyways via itunes without any blobs?

thanks for the help.

Correct, you can only save 4.2.10 SHSH blobs right now. If you try to downgrade to 4.2.8 without blobs you will get an error and then you'll have to restore to 4.2.10 to get your phone working again.

what if i got ahold of a 4.28 that was "signed" would i be able to restore it then?

because supposedly i have one, is it even possible for a signed 4.28 to be available?

There's no such thing as a pre-signed firmware. iTunes checks if the firmware is being signed during the restore process. If it isn't the restore will fail. The only way you can downgrade to 4.2.8 is if you have a SHSH blob saved for your specific device for that specific firmware, there is no other way.

There's no such thing as a pre-signed firmware. iTunes checks if the firmware is being signed during the restore process. If it isn't the restore will fail. The only way you can downgrade to 4.2.8 is if you have a SHSH blob saved for your specific device for that specific firmware, there is no other way.

but didnt apple used to sign the 4.28 firmware?
so if thats the case wouldnt there be a signed firmware floating around somewhere before apple stopped signing them?

or does apple sign it at that time its being restored?

It checks during restore, the keys have to match the keys that Apple is currently signing(only 4.2.10/4.3.5 right now). Even if the firmware itself was signed(which it's not), you wouldn't be able to restore using someone else's signed firmware because each SHSH signature is unique to each individual device. No two SHSH keys are the same, it's like a digital fingerprint

It checks during restore, the keys have to match the keys that Apple is currently signing(only 4.2.10/4.3.5 right now). Even if the firmware itself was signed(which it's not), you wouldn't be able to restore using someone else's signed firmware because each SHSH signature is unique to each individual device. No two SHSH keys are the same, it's like a digital fingerprint

thanks, you been MORE then a big help.
i appreciate it.

im a android guy, so its easy for me too root my device.
i used to mess with iphones back when i had tmo and had a iphone3g it was so easy to just restore and go, so now all this shsh blob stuff and signing firmware is all unknown to me.

i guess we are stuck until ios 5 comes out, then there will be the jailbreaks being released correct?

i really wanted to hotspot my device for internet via jailbreak, and cant find a way to do it without being jailbroken.

The only way to do it without being jailbroken is to pay the monthly fee through your provider unfortunately :( No problem on the help, I've been doing this for a few years now and love educating and helping other people with it.

Ya, the SHSH blobs threw a huge wrench in the jailbreaking community(introduce back in iOS4).

@notcom, the guy who created TinyUmbrella(to save SHSH files) is supposedly working on a piece of software that will let you restore any firmware version without SHSH blobs and without using iTunes it will be a complete stand-alone tool that will not check Apple server to verify firmware, however, he originally announced it in January of last year and hasn't said anything about it since.

As for the iOS5 jailbreak, there is already a tethered jailbreak for the iOS5 beta firmware, but likely the developers will not start talking about a jailbreak for the public release until it's released since they don't want to tip Apple off to any exploits they've found so far.

For all we know, they could already have found an exploit for an untethered jailbreak and as long as Apple doesn't find it themselves and patch it before a public release, we could see a jailbreak the day it gets released or it could be weeks or even months, only time will tell!

Thanks for all the good info. Tried to save my 4.2.8 blobs and got the not signing message. Can I synch with iTunes with jailbreak and uncheck update to 4.2.10 and be alright? Have not connected to my computer since jailbreak. Will the new back up write over my back up before jailbreak?

You can connect to iTunes and sync or backup at any time, just make sure you cancel the update and never run it.

Hi, I need some help again, I had 4.2.8 and my iphone 4 from verizon was jailbroken then I updated to 4.2.10, and I have tried the tethered jailbreak now. When I open up cydia, it says shsh ios 4.28 and 4.2.10 can you tell me what this means. Is there a way to put my iphone back to 4.2.8 and if so can someone lead me on how to do this, thanks

Since I can see the 4.2.8 and 4.2.10 on the top of cydia, that means it was saved, cause I don't remember saving it, lol, but that is good for me. Thanks