What's new

setup iphone 4 as hotspot without jailbreak

apothaherbals

Reaction score
I am preparing to develop a mobile app. The bandwidth of my local network is slower than tolerable for development. So I purchased an Iphone 4 less than a month ago (still in the trial period). I am trying to setup my iphone as a hotspot for my local network (which has one windows desktop computer and will be adding an Apple laptop in a few weeks). My Iphone service provider, AT&T, directed me to a link that promotes jailbreaking. I'm trying to figure out just what jailbreaking is and the consequences of doing it. I've seen terms like "bricking" and I don't know what it means but it doesn't sound like something I want to do.

I'm ready to move my network to a broader band provider and give up on the idea of using the iphone 4 to provide internet access to my desktop and laptop.

Is there a way (an app?) for the Iphone 4 to provide network access to the internet without having to jailbreak? The person at Apple (I spoke with today) told me that there might be apps available to do this but I'm new to this technology and find it difficult to know the correct questions to ask or keywords to search.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions you have.

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, 3G isn't that fast and it can get expensive, real fast.
Second - You would have to Jailbreak you phone.

If you can follow directions, there are many How To' s on the internet, you can jailbreak your phone. It's easy. As for BRICKING, the term is over used by people who can't follow directions, they get somewhere and don't know how to get out. There are ways out! Read the manual, study the HOW TO's and read the forums FIRST. Be prepared! Then you will be surprised how easy it is.

I would get a better broadband provider first, if possible. I wish I could!
Then I would JB anyway. You will learn a lot about how iOS works, and you will need that as a developer.