What's new

semi-untethered jailbreak how stable?

mach1man

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a semi-untethered jailbreak on my iphone4 5.1. I'm just wondering how stable is it? I'm not really looking to do themes and what not. I just want to be able to put my icons on the screen wherever I want on the screen and change the transition when I switch screens. Also do I have to do it on my home computer where my itunes is downloaded? could I have redsnow on both my home and work computer so I could tether boot if it fails at work?

tethered/semi-tether is almost always more stable then the available untethered. FYI.

Thanks for the help. Yea I just wanted to make sure that if something happend at work I could run redsnow. Thanks for the help

mach1man said:
Thanks for the help. Yea I just wanted to make sure that if something happend at work I could run redsnow. Thanks for the help

Yup.....and should your phone reboot when you are away from redsn0w, your phone should still boot into a functional none-jailbroken state. Like stated, cannot use Cydia or anything from Cydia, along with Safari. But the Semi-Tether package from this repo: thebigboss.org/semitether/

It helps to make the semi-tether a little more stable, patches Safari for use in a none-jailbroken state, and allows you to check the status of your semi-tethered reboot.

Does it matter if the computer is running xp or windows 7? My work computer is xp and my home is windows 7. I don't think it would be I just want to make sure

mach1man said:
Does it matter if the computer is running xp or windows 7? My work computer is xp and my home is windows 7. I don't think it would be I just want to make sure

No. It should not matter.

Just always remember when using redsn0w on "any" windows computer to right click and click "run as administrator" when you want to use it.

What I do, is drag the "redsn0w.exe" to my desktop.

Right click on it
Click "Properties"
Click "Compatability"

Then at the bottom of that page, under "Privilege Level" make sure that the box beside "Run this program as administrator" is checked.

Be sure to click "Ok" for changes to be saved.

Now you won't have to right click and run as admin every time you launch it. It hit does that automatically now that that box is checked.

Last edited:
ok great might be jailbreaking on my lunch break