What's new

Saving 4k Video

blucoyo

Reaction score
Hi,
Im new to the forum so I hope this is posted in the right place. I have an 11 pro and want to shoot a 4k video, however I was told when it is saved to camera roll it is compressed. If this is true why bother? Is there a way to download to a PC and maintain the size?

Thanks,,
Richard
:(

Nearly all normal video recorded on consumer devices uses some form of compression. As far as I know iPhones don't natively have the ability to record raw video. It's possible that there may be 3rd party apps that can do it, but the file sizes would be very large. Unless you have a very specific need to record raw 4k I'd say don't be concerned. The 4k from the iPhone is very high quality.

Nearly all normal video recorded on consumer devices uses some form of compression. As far as I know iPhones don't natively have the ability to record raw video. It's possible that there may be 3rd party apps that can do it, but the file sizes would be very large. Unless you have a very specific need to record raw 4k I'd say don't be concerned. The 4k from the iPhone is very high quality.

Thanks Dave,
I understand you to say that quality of 4k is the same even after it is saved to camera roll? I don't know much about video but when I watched a U-Tube tutorial on Movie Pro he advised not to save to C.R.
It is a bit confessing because what is the purpose of shooting in 4k if its not retained when saved.?
Can you clear this up for me?

Thanks again..
R

Thanks Dave,
I understand you to say that quality of 4k is the same even after it is saved to camera roll? I don't know much about video but when I watched a U-Tube tutorial on Movie Pro he advised not to save to C.R.
It is a bit confessing because what is the purpose of shooting in 4k if its not retained when saved.?
Can you clear this up for me?

It’s not that there’s additional compression over normal iPhone compression when you save to the camera roll, but rather that the standard compression is used. Looking at the description for Movie Pro, apparently when recording with it you can control the amount of compression. But you then have to save to the Movie Pro app instead of to the camera roll to do that. This isn’t unusual - I use an app called Filmic Pro which performs the same way. It uses compression, but its own proprietary codec which gives better results than the native iPhone. If top quality results are critical to you and you’re using Movie Pro I’d suggest saving to the MP app using less compression. It might be interesting, though, to try it both ways to see if you can see any difference. In Filmic Pro you have to use iTunes to get the video from the FP app, so it’s a little more cumbersome than if it’s saved to the camera roll. This is how you would get it onto your computer as you mentioned in your original post. I would imagine that MP works similarly. May I ask how you’re going to use the video? If you’re going to edit in a video editor and top quality is important then you probably don’t mind the additional steps.

It’s not that there’s additional compression over normal iPhone compression when you save to the camera roll, but rather that the standard compression is used. Looking at the description for Movie Pro, apparently when recording with it you can control the amount of compression. But you then have to save to the Movie Pro app instead of to the camera roll to do that. This isn’t unusual - I use an app called Filmic Pro which performs the same way. It uses compression, but its own proprietary codec which gives better results than the native iPhone. If top quality results are critical to you and you’re using Movie Pro I’d suggest saving to the MP app using less compression. It might be interesting, though, to try it both ways to see if you can see any difference. In Filmic Pro you have to use iTunes to get the video from the FP app, so it’s a little more cumbersome than if it’s saved to the camera roll. This is how you would get it onto your computer as you mentioned in your original post. I would imagine that MP works similarly. May I ask how you’re going to use the video? If you’re going to edit in a video editor and top quality is important then you probably don’t mind the additional steps.

Dave,
Thank you,,I appreciate your time and explanation. As for what my plans are, nothing definite. I've been "locked down" so to speak and needed a break from Photoshop.
Ill introduce myself to Shortcut next. LOL. Its going to be along winter.!!
Saving options with M.P.is up load to U-Tube,,Drop Box or camera roll.

R