What's new

Safely upgrade jailbroken & unlocked (old bootrom) iPhone 3GS to the Latest Firmware

High Roller

Reaction score
This is my pride and joy, although it needs a little work done on it. including soldering new parts on it.

Firstly I want to concentrate on safely upgrading the firmware OS to 5.1.1 without bricking it (as I feel the other iphone i have to fix has sufffered an irreversible bricking)

What's the method for upgrading this 3GS from 3.1.3 JB/unlocked to the latest firmware, while preserving the BB (05.11.07)

So it results in being up to date, unlocked and compatible with the latest software?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!!! :)

You will be hard pushed to truly "brick" your iPhone with the new firmwares... it's usually user error or hardware issues.... back in the day on 1.x.x firmware "bricking" your iPhone was a real possibility.... good ole days..

You can use either redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to create a Custom 5.1.1 IPSW. When creating the Custom IPSW file you'll need to choose the "Preserve Baseband" option. Once that is created... you'll Shift-Restore via iTunes to that Custom IPSW.

Excellent news! I' feel more confident about it now, ive noticed these tools have become moreintegrated since 2-3 years ago when I first jailbroke my device

I'll report back

Thank you for the information. bless ya

You're very welcome!! And yes... the JB tools have become much more streamlined the past couple years. I know it doesn't cover your needs... but using greenp0ison's Absinthe... you click a single button now and the JB runs itself.

Would that absinthe work on a boot-looping iphone 3G?

Ah well, I may find a way for this. until then I'll focus on my personal phone, this one.

Redsn0w has provided a wealth of information.

Is it wise/OK to post it, or some of it? (CPRD, ECID etc) if its any use to the process, cos im a little reluctant

I'm lucky enough to have one of the first batches of iphone 3gs that were manufactured.

Bu theres this thing with SHSH blobs I dont fully understand yet, and stitching...

Ive made a custom 5.1.1 ipsw with sn0wbreeze, is it OK to "restore" because I thought the appropriate term would be update... confused much less than I was but still confused!

Edit: I'll have a scan of Absinthe :)E

EDIT 2: redsn0w gives me an error whe I try to fetch these blobs, but it was in DFU mode...

Last edited:
You only need to worry about SHSH blobs if you're "Downgrading"... which we're not here. We can cover than on another project. :) Yes, if you've created the custom IPSW go ahead and Shift-Restore to that specific IPSW. Updating is when you allow iTunes to do all the work for you. However, that uses a stock IPSW and will throw your iDevice for a loop at this point.

iPhone2,1 651526583629 full blobs:
3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.1.1

Does this mean I can update to any of these iOS;s without a problem?

You only need to worry about SHSH blobs if you're "Downgrading"... which we're not here. We can cover than on another project. :) Yes, if you've created the custom IPSW go ahead and Shift-Restore to that specific IPSW. Updating is when you allow iTunes to do all the work for you. However, that uses a stock IPSW and will throw your iDevice for a loop at this point.

But it is definately safe? ( I apologise for the cautiousness, but i've bricked several phones in the last couple of months! almost a mobile genocide masacre going on here buddy!) hehehe

EDIT: I can go ahead and restore from 3.1.3 custom ipsw to 5.1.1 custom ipsw

Sorry didnt read your last post properly, and well, you're confident for a reason!

It worked! brilliant, thanks for the guidance, You've made my day gentlemen!

Very good my friend!! :) As far as the list of iOS versions... yes... you have SHSHs saved for each of those and you can restore to any of those iOS versions using a Custom IPSW.

Magic! it works a treat,

now im trying to figure out whats gone on with this White 3G... before I sell it as scrap on ebay tomorrow. Sugestions include Tiny Umbrella, i'll start a new thread :) spent all of last night restoring it with various mothods. nothing!