What's new

Rumour: Third-Generation Apple Watch Will Have Cellular Connectivity

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Third gen Apple Watch rumoured to have cellular connectivity.JPG

MacRumors reports today that according to Susquehanna Financial Group analyst Christopher Rolland, Apple’s third-generation Apple Watch could feature cellular connectivity, which has long been rumoured to be coming to the Apple Watch.

In particular, Rolland says that this year’s Apple Watch will have a SIM card and will support LTE, and that Apple intends to promote it at the same time as the AirPods. “Apple will tout interoperability with the company’s AirPods… to make and receive phone calls” said Rolland.

Rolland also said, “We understand some issues remain, including battery life and form factor size, but significant progress has been made. Apple may be employing VOIP and data across a CAT-M1 connection for superior battery life.”

There’s been talk of Apple adding a cellular modem to the Apple Watch ever since it launched, but the thorny issue of battery drain has, until now, proved to be too much of a hindrance.

Source: Analyst Suggests Third-Generation Apple Watch Will Include Cellular Connectivity

I won't lie... I could take it or leave it. I had cellular function on my Samsung Gear watches and never used it..

What advantages are from having LTE on the watch? I have a first gen watch and use it daily, but I don't see the need or even point of this. The watch does everything through the phone, so why have it's own signal?

What advantages are from having LTE on the watch? I have a first gen watch and use it daily, but I don't see the need or even point of this. The watch does everything through the phone, so why have it's own signal?
Probably so that people who are temporarily without their iPhone can still be connected, such as joggers, etc..

For me this is the tipping point. I may not use the phone feature often, but running, biking, motorcycling, basketball etc. where I hate taking a phone means I can be connected if I need be. I will need a more secure device(s) than the Air Pods for more active activities (that just looks and sounds like I am laughing at all my grammar teachers - so wrong [emoji15]) but the Air Pods may be the perfect in-home solution for me.

You know the cellphone companies are going to charge you for the watch line. I am not paying an extra 10/20 dollars a month to have a watch that I can talk on.

You know the cellphone companies are going to charge you for the watch line. I am not paying an extra 10/20 dollars a month to have a watch that I can talk on.
You can already talk on the Apple Watch for free, with the calls routed through your connected iPhone.

You can already talk on the Apple Watch for free, with the calls routed through your connected iPhone.

Yes I am aware of that I have had both of the apple watches. What I am saying is that if they make it with its on cellular connection they will start charging you to use it. Kinda like the iPad with cellular you have to pay to actually use it. I don't think most people will be separated from their phone long enough to make this cost effective.

Well if it's like the iPad it will be super easy to turn on and off for times you want or need it. My iPad couldn't be easier, I activate it and at the end of the billing period I deactivate it.