What's new

Review: Waterfield Designs Suede Jacket (iPhone 4)

ARSkemp

Reaction score
Today I will be reviewing the Waterfield Designs Suede Jacket. This item is available for both the iPhone 4 and 3G/3GS and with or without a slim exterior pocket (which is stretchy enough to hold a bluetooth headset or earbuds). It is also available in 3 colors: Black, Cheetah print, and Zebra print. Specific to the iPhone 4 there is a model available for those who want to use the suede jacket on top of the Apple Bumper. The sleeve I received is the the Black Suede Jacket without the the pocket for the “bumperless” iPhone 4.

cimg3679s.jpg

Upon first inspection, the suede feels nice and the stitching is very well done. The sleeve feels very tight the first time it the iPhone 4 is inserted into jacket. This makes it pretty difficult to take the phone in and out. It is mentioned in the instructions given in the packaging that the jacket will loosen up over time.

After approximately two days of use the sleeve has a very nice fit and is much easier to move the phone in and out. After a few days however I found that the stitching on the interior on one side keeps getting caught on the volume buttons as I slide it in dock port first. This does not keep me from sliding the case on, but I hope it does not prove to eventually cause an added wear and tear on the stitching at that specific area.

cimg3773z.jpg

After about a week and a half of use, the suede seems to remain as soft and lint free as the day I got it, which is surprising since almost every day it has been going in and out of my jean pockets. The suede is also soft enough that it can be used to clean the front and back glass on the phone, which I find very handy since I seem to get fingerprints all over the phone fairly quickly.

cimg3775q.jpg

When using a full fledged case, one of the things I enjoy most is that I can sit the phone down on a table (or really any other surface) and not worry about the bottom of the phone getting scratched up. I now find myself sitting the phone on top of this sleeve all the time while working at a desk, where I can see the phone in all its beauty without a thick case surrounding it.

cimg3777b.jpg

Overall, I feel this case is a fantastic alternative if you want to use your phone without adding any additional bulk. I feel no difference in my pocket with our without the sleeve on. It is very thin and will prevent things like change and keys from scratching up the phone while in your pocket. This sleeve will not help if you are one of those people that drops your phone often while using it since the sleeve has to be removed in order to make a call or use the screen. The basic version (the one I reviewed) costs $10+shipping, which is a great price considering the quality of this sleeve. For information on purchasing this case you can visit SFBags