What's new

Retired iPhone Repurpose

OldGringo

Reaction score
So, my SO and I upgraded to 6's last year and I now have two 4's doing essentially nothing. I had considered utilizing both of them as security cameras but have not come up with an idea that really would be useful.
Currently, one is being used as a music player with a remote controller and the other is just sitting in a drawer. Has anyone else encountered this dilemma and how did you give that old phone a new purpose?

I can't give your old phone a new purpose, however my girlfriend gives me a new phone whenever her contract runs out. Drives me nuts, l have androids, iPhones but my favourite is the old Nokia straight forward calls and sms no apps, Internet or that stuff. I use the iPad or PC for that. The battery lasts a week. Yes l love it. No problems with updates or loss of data etc. But l am an old gringo to :)

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

Turn one into a car dash cam. There are plenty of dash cam apps in the App Store, however I can't recommend a specific one. Your 4s will be better than 90% of the store bought dash cams.

I kept my 5s just so I could use the Cycloramic app. Too bad it doesn't work on the
6s plus

Turn one into a car dash cam. There are plenty of dash cam apps in the App Store, however I can't recommend a specific one. Your 4s will be better than 90% of the store bought dash cams.

Yep. I use my old phone as a dashcam. It works great. I don't have a recommendation, as the app I use isn't in the App Store anymore.

I kept my old 4 intending to use it as an iPod, but with 64Gb on my 5s I found it redundant, so it sat unused for the last couple of years.

One of my son's friends recently had a minor accident with his 5c, resulting in total destruction of the screen, so he's getting my 4. The battery is beginning to suffer the effects of old age, but apart from that it's in good shape. I hate waste, so I figured it was a good use.

I've decided against replacing my 5s. I was actually surprised to find I'd had it 2 years. Since it still does everything I need, I'm going to save the $230 that it would cost me to upgrade to the 6, and get a discount on my monthly plan. Total saving over 2 years should be around $700.

I honestly let the kids have them- as crazy as it sounds... And we put them on a prepaid plan. I'm still shocked at how long they've lasted. All my husbands phones go to the recycling bin (he has android), but that's only because when he upgrades it's because the phone has gotten to the point where Verizon won't fix it anymore