What's new

Restoring my 3G

JohnnyP848

Reaction score
I have the "iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw" file and I think that is where all my data (my eMail setting, my "Notes", etc.) is, but within iTunes I do not see the option to "Restore from Backup." Any clues?

after you restore you will be given the option to setup as a new phone or restore from backup

Thank you...
I saw the "Restore" option just once after the Genius Bar guy "restored" my phone, and it was merrily restoring until my screen saver on my laptop kicked in and stopped the process. Since then, I have not been able to get iTune to offer that screen, again. Thoughts?

I must be missing the steps to "when you restore."

Plug in your iPhone and hit "Restore". Let the process complete. You will see the option to restore from any backup of your choice.

Well, I must say this is all pretty helpful and I've learned a lot, and I have a lot of confidence that as long as I have my "iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw" file I will eventually be in good shape.

When I let iTunes attempt to restore, iTunes will eventally give up and insist it cannot find my iPhone for a revolving number of reasons citing all sorts of revolving error codes.

I have two concerns at the moment:
(1) Is it feasable my cheap eBay patch cables are really no good and causing connection issues?
(2) I'm syncing to a new notebook, for years my old one worked fine: is it possible my comany's firewall which I cannot disable is causing sync breaks?