What's new

Restore Jailbroken 3g

IMeme

Reaction score
I have an old friends Iphone 3gs that has evidently been jailbroken. He did not use the phone for a few years as he couldn't restore it. I have been trying to restore it myself but do not know what version of IOS was installed when it was done. Is there any way to find this out and restore? I have tried using programs like iDetector and iFaith to find out what version was installed but no luck. I get error 1015 when trying to restore through iTunes. Have tried running in DFU mode and restoring specific IPSW's through iTunes but no success. Have only tried the most recent versions. Any help would be great! Thanks

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

It should't be necessary to find out the recent software on the iPhone, restoring should remove the jailbreak and install the most recent software for the device, which is 6.1.6 for the iPhone 3 GS, afaik. This will also be the only software version you'll be able to install on his iPhone.

Here's how to restore it using iTunes:
Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support
Or put it into recovery mode:
If you can t update or restore your iPhone iPad or iPod touch - Apple Support

If this doesn't work, try this:
TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS Apple iPhone Forum

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, Had tried these steps before and no luck. Just tried again in case I missed anything but still getting error 1015.

Error 1015 appears because the iPhone is jailbroken. I've edited my previous post and added recovery mode, more than two hours ago. Did you try it as well?

Also make sure iTunes is up to date. The latest version is 12.1.

What's the iPhone's model number? You can find it on the back cover of the device.

Hi sorry for the late reply. I have tried recovery mode also, no luck.
I found that it was in fact a 3g, not a 3gs like I was told so I retried using the failsafe method downloading "iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore" (the latest version for 3g) and using it to restore from DFU mode. Same issue.
Model No. A1241
Also Itunes is up to date.

Since you're talking about a jailbroken iPhone, I've moved your thread to the Hacking forums.

I have no idea what else you could try, but hopefully a knowledgeable member here will be able to help. Good luck!

If you've tried the tutorial on how to restore the current version of iOS that J. A. Linked to in her post and followed every step exactly, with no modifications or deletions and the restore failed, it usually indicates a hardware problem.

Did you use the iOS 4.2.1 download link for the iPhone 3G found in the first post in this thread.
Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPhone Apple iPhone Forum

A 1015 error is most likely from an iPad baseband flashed onto the device for use with software unlocks. You'd need to create an IPSW that preserves the baseband using RedSn0w, or, use the restore feature on RedSn0w to restore the device with the action of preserving the device's baseband. Note that you can only do so with iOS firmwares that are still being signed such as iOS 4.1 and 6.1.6, or if you have SHSH blobs, you can restore to a firmware that you have SHSH blobs for.