What's new

Restore data after factory reset?

cowoflove

Reaction score
Im clutching at straws here however here's hoping.

Have an iphone 5 which i chose never to setup with itunes purely cos I didn't have a need to put music etc on.

Screen is cracked and doesnt allow me to unlock it any more. I tried installing itunes to see what i could do with it, however it said i first need to unlock the phone.

After much screen mashing, i ended up disabling the phone. I managed to get it into DFU mode and do a factory reset via itunes, however i thought it would be a good idea never to take a backup or use icloud.

So, any way of getting all my pictures back?

Tried a few of the recovery tools out there but they all come up showing 0 pictures (which im guessing they would after a factory reset).

Thanks

Are you saying you're not able to get your pics from iCloud....or never uploaded them to begin with???o_O
If you didn't back up your pics to some other place.....you're probably out of luck, assuming resetting the phone erased any pics you had stored...
I thought the same as you when I first got into Apple stuff...."Naw, I don't need to use the XXX app. -- I'll "NEVER" need it....!!":rolleyes:
Gotta say it....and I know you've heard it before....like real estate.....the 3 most important things:
BACKUP, BACKUP and BACKUP!!
I sync my iPhone and iPad at LEAST once a week to my PC....and utilize iCloud for PRIORITY material, as extra protection (you're limited to 5GB of FREE storage, IIRC...more costs $$...)...
Maybe someone else will chime in here with other ideas....Good luck!

Im clutching at straws here however here's hoping.

Have an iphone 5 which i chose never to setup with itunes purely cos I didn't have a need to put music etc on.

Screen is cracked and doesnt allow me to unlock it any more. I tried installing itunes to see what i could do with it, however it said i first need to unlock the phone.

After much screen mashing, i ended up disabling the phone. I managed to get it into DFU mode and do a factory reset via itunes, however i thought it would be a good idea never to take a backup or use icloud.

So, any way of getting all my pictures back?

Tried a few of the recovery tools out there but they all come up showing 0 pictures (which im guessing they would after a factory reset).

Thanks

Well by not using iCloud or iTunes to backup your personal data, I'm sorry to tell you that it is gone forever. So now you have learned an important lesson on why you need to make regular backups of your phone. When making a backup with iTunes, not only are you backing up your pictures and videos it also includes other things like contacts, calendar data, message and call history and many other things. iTunes is not for just putting music on your phone, it also keeps a copy of the apps you've installed as well (if you have it turned on).

So with iTunes set up on your PC and regular backups, the next time you should ever need to restore your phone the end result would be that the phone will be exactly the way it was when the last backup was created. This not only applies to your phone, but your PC as well, you need to make backups on a regular basis! Any electronic device can fail at any time, and if you value your data you need to have copies of it stored in other places.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk