What's new

reset the iphone to the original iOS version and factory setting?

yage

Reaction score
I have been using my iphone 3 for a few years now and I found it is very slow after iOS many upgrades (now it is running 4.2.1. I remeber the original version was 2.1 or something, not sure what the exact number was though). Do we have an easy way to reset everything (including the OS) back to the factory state? As it has been for so long, i cannot even find the very first backup -- Do I still have a way to bring this iphone back to the factory state at all? or do we have a way to know what the original version it was? - basically I look for something like windows home edition in PC ... one key sequence can bring the PC back to the factory state (if the hidden partition is not deleted or messed up). But not sure whether there is such a thing in iphone world.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. When Apple upgrades its software, it closes off the opportunity for anyone to ever go back to older versions.

So, unless you've been saving SHSH blobs, you can never downgrade your firmware.

Sorry, but you are "stuck" with the firmware currently on your device and the only way to change it is to go up in version.

Marilyn

yage said:
I have been using my iphone 3 for a few years now and I found it is very slow after iOS many upgrades (now it is running 4.2.1. I remeber the original version was 2.1 or something, not sure what the exact number was though). Do we have an easy way to reset everything (including the OS) back to the factory state? As it has been for so long, i cannot even find the very first backup -- Do I still have a way to bring this iphone back to the factory state at all? or do we have a way to know what the original version it was? - basically I look for something like windows home edition in PC ... one key sequence can bring the PC back to the factory state (if the hidden partition is not deleted or messed up). But not sure whether there is such a thing in iphone world.

Thanks.
YOU will have to get an iphone4 now instead☺

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Is it an iPhone 3GS?
If so, it shouldn't become very slow because of the updates, I have one here with the latest iOS 5.0.1, and it's working fine. Something else must be wrong with your phone...
There is still an option to reset to factory settings I think (doesn't roll back the updates). Maybe you should try that and see if it helps.

I have a iphone 4 and I found out the firmware doesnt make it faster or slower much. however the more I came to have no free storage space left my phone got slower and slower, I gues becouse it has to go through more data somehow.
So I went from 2% free storage left (have 16g) back to around 8gig of stuff on it (50to 60%) and it got much faster again. I bet if I delete all music and apps it'll be as fast as it was.

hope it helps,