What's new

Reset before restoring from backup?

Schar

Reaction score
Dear all,

I need to reset my Iphone, which I have been using for 8 months. I am trying to understand the precise difference between 2 things:

- first resetting all content and settings AND THEN restore from an earlier Itunes backup

AND

- directly restoring from an earlier Itunes backup.

Is there a relevant difference? I searched the net but don't seem to find the exact difference.

Thanks. I want to restore from a previous Itunes backup in the end. But what is the best thing to do: FIRST setup as a new iphone and THEN the backup, OR directly the backup. I'm doing it to get rid of a difficult problem with battery and I hope restoring/resetting will help.

Schar said:
Thanks. I want to restore from a previous Itunes backup in the end. But what is the best thing to do: FIRST setup as a new iphone and THEN the backup, OR directly the backup. I'm doing it to get rid of a difficult problem with battery and I hope restoring/resetting will help.

If you are restoring to resolve a problem...then directly restoring from a backup is *not* the best way to go.

Problems just get backed up as well...this defeating the purpose of the restore.

I recommend you do a complete restore in iTunes. Choose to *not* restore forms backup...just restore.

After the restore...THEN you can choose to restore from an iCloud it iTunes backup. This ensures that the iOS has actually been completely reinstalled,....unlike doing it from the device...which is not a true restore...

But be sure that the backup you are using is older...and was not taken from the device *while* the device was having these problems.

In my honest opinion...restoring from a backup should be avoided entirely when the reason one is restoring is to resolve a problem. It only makes sense.