What's new

Removed passcode to test

brixtonboy

Reaction score
Set up my face lD all was acceptable by the IPhone however anyone could login just by swiping up. The IPhone did not lock. I tested it by switching it on and standing to the side, it was just the same.
I know that the Face ID works it, because l had to use it once.
Any ideas BB

It’s possible that Face ID doesn’t work without passcode. It’s an alternate way to verify your identity.

If you’re still using the passcode:
Make sure iPhone Unlock is enabled in your Face ID & Passcode settings.
Also take a look at “Attention” - Require Attention for Face ID. That feature has to be enabled.

If it is, reset your Face ID and set it up again. To reset it, go to Face ID & Passcode, select “Reset Face ID” and follow the instructions.

Last edited:
I have XR and do not want or need face id or pin to unlock. I have set face recognition and apple id and pin but then set my phone to NEVER ask for it. I wanted it that way. It's my phone, damn it!!

So, last night the phone INSISTED that I update to iOS 14.4.2 and now it is making me enter PIN to open the phone. If brixtonboy can tell me how he got where he does NOT want to be (which is where I DO want to be), I'll tell him how I got to where I DON'T want to be!

That's funny, but it is not meant as a joke. I HATE having to key in numbers or hold the phone toward my face when I want to use it. I want to tap the screen and swipe up and use it. I DO NOT have any credit cards or banks assigned to my phone, so if somebody picks it up, all he can do is call my contacts. If he wants to use wallet, he will have to know my pws and stuff.

That's what I want!!! How do I get there again. I was so happy before 14.4.2

Thanks in advance (if I'm lucky!)
Chas (aka Pengy4)

Replying to myself! Got it!!

AND since I figured out how to get where brixtonboy is, maybe he can use the reverse of what I did to get to where I was.

Settings, Face ID & Passcode, [scroll down a bit until you see] Turn Passcode Off

That's what I did and now my phone is back the way I like it --- with almost no security.

So, for brixtonboy, I suggest:

Settings, Face ID & Passcode, [scroll down a bit] Turn Passcode On

Also, note that if you elect as I did, to turn the passcode OFF, you must KNOW the passcode so you prove you are authorized to make that change.

Also, before scrolling down, have a look at these settings and make sure you have them the way you want.

Settings, Face ID & Passcode, Use Face ID For:
iPhone Unlock
iTunes & App Store
Apply Pay
Password AutoFill

I have all those turned OFF because I do not want to ever have to do any of that crap. So, if you find MY iPhone, you can knock yourself out because it is totally OPEN. However, Apple Pay is not set up, so good luck with that! I don't use iTunes, so good luck with that. I use the App Store for free stuff and pay otherwise if I have to.

I'm an old fart and I like my phone the way I want it.

P.S. I lied about my age! I'm really much older than my profile says!!

Regards,
Chas (aka Pengy4)