What's new

Remove home button

JESUS_is_LORD

Reaction score
I Think apple should get rid of home buttons in future iPhones. Let the iPhones be all touch. In time over due the home buttons get worn out & need replacement. The assentive touch in the os5 soft ware is very good, or hands free could be good as well.

I believe they are removing it.... I personally dont like it because I get stuff gummed into it lol

They won't be removing it anytime soon. They have trained users for over four years to use a single button to exit an application and return to the springboard. This design was very well thought out and has proven very successful. Without the home button EVERY SINGLE APP on the market would have to be updated. Considering there are 578,716 active apps, at the moment of this post, on the market I doubt Apple is going to request all of those apps to be updated at once.

And before you state; "They can add a touch screen version of the home button". Yes they can, at an added cost. Apple does one thing that no other hardware maker, besides maybe Nintendo, can do. Make a device that cost more than $499 and turn a profit on it from day one.

So don't go betting the farm on the removal of the home button.

IMO an iPhone wouldn't be an iPhone without the home button as it exists today...it's kind of like a "trademark" feature if you will.

I think the Home button is great, if Apple will remove the Home button in next iphone ,I think most people may not be accustomed to use it.

I don't know, maybe I am just accustomed to always having at least one physical button but I have played quite a bit with my brother in laws brothers (got that?) Galaxy Nexus. I find it a little annoying not having it right there. The one good thing is that aside from the back camera you do not really have an up or down position of the phone.

Last edited:
Haha, sounds interesting about your experience, but now we are known that the new ipad is not cancel the button, so I believe it will too on the future iphone.

My 2 cents: remove the mechanical Home Button and replace it with a touch-type. In fact, the 4S has an "Assistive Touch" Home Button, right? The hardware Home Button is a sore subject for many users and on many iPhone forums other than this one. It's as bad as iTunes!!!

However, if they keep the mechanical Home Button, perhaps Apple should make it so it lasts more than a few dozen pokes!

If Apple got rid of the home button, how would we enter DFU. That state is not just for jailbreakers, it was a function mad by Apple for trouble shooting restore....and the Apple Genus's are trained to use DFU to help customers.

I really helps developers out too.

I use Activator gestures to help minimize wear on my home and power buttons.

My 2 cents: remove the mechanical Home Button and replace it with a touch-type. In fact, the 4S has an "Assistive Touch" Home Button, right? The hardware Home Button is a sore subject for many users and on many iPhone forums other than this one. It's as bad as iTunes!!!

However, if they keep the mechanical Home Button, perhaps Apple should make it so it lasts more than a few dozen pokes!

Hello. What exactly does "Assistive Touch" Home Button mean? Also, are there any numbers as to how long the home button lasts? I never thought about it wearing out so is it a good idea to use Activator to set other gestures to mimick the home button?

No the 4s has the same home button as the 4 IOS5 has assistive touch which ive been using for months and haven't touched my home button for months unless i need to do a hard reset that's the only time i use it.

Since my post #12 I figured out what Assistive Touch is, but I'd still like to know if anyone has any idea of how long the home button lasts. Thanks!

Since my post #12 I figured out what Assistive Touch is, but I'd still like to know if anyone has any idea of how long the home button lasts. Thanks!

Thats impossible to tell im sure it lasts a long time apple has been using it for a few years now so if it was a problem im sure they would have changed it by now. If it ever wears out you could always put a new one in.