What's new

Recovering deleted/overwritten texts

Status
Not open for further replies.

msnv04

Reaction score
Hi! I am desperate here and hope I can get some help.

On Monday my 10-year old son received some disturbing text messages from his biolocial parent, who is currently unable have unsupervised visits due to a violent episode.

On Monday I thought I created a backup- but quit the sync once I thought I might lose the data. However, it appears that a back-up was not created since March 3. Last night I did create a backup and synced the phone. Last night I got the iPhone Spy Stick and it was able to recover some data but not the deleted texts. The report did say that there were 50 deleted text messages but did not show the content of sais messages. Just 50 blank lines.

Is there a way to access the content of the 50 deleted texts? If it has been overwritten, is it lost forever? The phone is an iPhone 4, and I have a macbook and current iTunes installed.
Thank you!!!

This has been answered before. But unless you created a full back up with messages included (most uncheck this part) before they were deleted then there is no way back and you've lost them unfortunately.

*one to be mindful of*
The iPhone is though like a pc so when you do delete, does it really delete from the phone? There maybe apple shops out there that offer ways to dig out the trash can and retrieve them. Tread carefully with these places but they may be your last port of call.

Personally if the back up isn't there then take a big glug of whiskey three deep breaths and accept there gone for ever.
Good luck in your quest!

iHolophyte

Hi! I am desperate here and hope I can get some help.

On Monday my 10-year old son received some disturbing text messages from his biolocial parent, who is currently unable have unsupervised visits due to a violent episode.

On Monday I thought I created a backup- but quit the sync once I thought I might lose the data. However, it appears that a back-up was not created since March 3. Last night I did create a backup and synced the phone. Last night I got the iPhone Spy Stick and it was able to recover some data but not the deleted texts. The report did say that there were 50 deleted text messages but did not show the content of sais messages. Just 50 blank lines.

Is there a way to access the content of the 50 deleted texts? If it has been overwritten, is it lost forever? The phone is an iPhone 4, and I have a macbook and current iTunes installed.
Thank you!!!

If it continues to be an issue police departments can request phone records from the cell companies which would include the text messages.

Last edited:
If it continues to be an issue police departments can request phone records from the cell companies which would include the text messages.

This wouldn't be authorised because it has "sentimental or otherwise" types of texts. Sorry. But this is a reason why I mentioned there are shops out there that may be able to help with retrieval of deleted messages but this should be taken with precaution. If they can retrieve your texts whilst your sat there or its left with them. What else can they retrieve?
As the user above mentions. The phone company may be able to assist. It's worth a try if nothing else.

iHolophyte

I know with sprint you can request full and complete phone usage history which does include texts. However, you must do it within 15 days of the data you want and it is rather expensive at $150. My police suggestion was if this becomes a problem where court and lawyers are involved then they can have access to all that if like the op says the courts are already involved.

The police have advanced data recovery technology that can recover deleted txts. So some data recovery company's may be able to do it. I used to work at one. If the data has been overwritten then the data will be lost forever.

says the courts are already involved.

Says nowhere of courts being involved. It's says the biological father has a supervisory order. Which is different, but granted this could be TAKEN to court and the messages retrieved if it hasn't been overwritten already. In my opinion it's a long and expensive shot.

iHolophyte

If they need recovering for court you would have to leave the messages to the courts or use a police data recovery team. May not be free as it doesn't sound like a criminal matter.

When recovered data is needed for court it needs to be recovered using images using specific software. It's to make sure the data hasn't been modified in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.