What's new

Reception problems

kamakalama

Reaction score
Hi, Just upgraded my old iPhone 2g to iphone4. Never had reception problems here in my house with the 2g although we don't live in an area with real strong signals

Now with the iphone4, the reception is terrible. I drop about 50% of calls, often can't originate a call, and the signal indicator varies all over from no bars to five bars from minute to minute. I do use a plastic bumper type case.

Any suggestions for what to do? Does the iPhone4 used different radio technology than the 2g that would explain the difference? That would mean I'm hosed and might as well return the phone. or could this phone be defective in some way

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Jeff

Yes, thanks, I already use a plastic bumper case on the iphone4

>>try using a case

Jeff

Called AT&T this morning and described the reception issue. They did a few things with the SIM but it didnt help. Then they had me turn off the 3g network in iphone settings. That helped a lot.

Around the house I don't need 3g because I'm connected to WiFi so I don't care how the phone reaches the cellular network. When I go into town, I may want to enable 3g however - a bit of a hassle to remember.

I thought the 3g network automatically degrades to EDGE when the signal quality was poor so I'm not sure why it has to be switched off manually.

For now, things are better.

Jeff