What's new

Quirks Noticed when Using Siri

Wouldn't it be great if Siri gave an option where you could say Location such and such SPELLED S U C H A N D S U C H and that could eliminate Siri not misunderstanding what you're saying.

philinpdx said:
Wouldn't it be great if Siri gave an option where you could say Location such and such SPELLED S U C H A N D S U C H and that could eliminate Siri not misunderstanding what you're saying.

That's a cool idea!!
Wonder if apple techs go thru sites like this for ideas like that, for their next update?

Siri does not work well when using it in your pocket. The microphone works pretty well with noise cancelling, but I've found that it has difficulty picking up what must be muffled conversation. I asked Siri "What is the weather forecast for tomorrow?" while my 4S was in my pocket. It interpreted what I said as "Jean" and pulled up the first contact with the name "Jean" it could find.

Are you using it in your pocket without headphones? That'd be quite strange. With headphones, using Siri in your pocket works like a charm. Except for this. Siri should be able to read to you what she finds. If I'm jogging down the street with my headphones on, and I ask Siri what the UV index will be in my city, it just says "OK, here you go." And I'm like, "...uh, I can't see it."

So I tell Siri, I say, "Read it to me." But of course, she doesn't understand that.

It's curious that Siri works really well with some built-in apps and not so well with others (even though it does work somewhat with most of them). For example, Siri can set up Reminders, but once they are set up, it cannot delete or edit them for you. This is really a surprise as if I need to change my reminder I can't use Siri, but I could use Siri to set up a new reminder with what I wanted my original one changed to.

Certain things you ask Siri to do, like Open the YouTube app, Twitter, Facebook, she explicitly says, "Sorry, I'm not allowed to do that." or "I can't do that for you."

Maybe deleting apps is one of those things she's not allowed to do. I mean, if she deleted the wrong thing, maybe Apple doesn't want Siri to take the blame?

There have been reports that Siri can still function as voice recognition when it doesn't have a connection to Apple's servers, has anyone verified this is the case (with what apps have you found this to be true)? I was having trouble yesterday, and it seemed to let me call someone in my contacts, but later I ran into difficulties when trying the same thing.

False. Unless you count regular voice recognition, which kind of like Siri (same voice).

When Siri gets out of beta, are we going to be getting less of the "I don't know, I can't do that" or "I don't understand," and "I don't know what you mean by" responses? Or is that just how Siri works?

Last edited: