What's new

Question about restoring phone once 7.1 is released.

Ericskooky

Reaction score
After reading about jailbreaking loopholes being closed once 7.1 is released, I ran out and upgraded to a 5S that came with 7.0.4. I upgraded to 7.0.6, jailbroke, everything is running just fine. My question is.. once 7.1 comes out, what do I do if my phone needs to be restored and jailbroken again? Will I be able to run DFU, upgrade to 7.0.6 and jailbreak again? I'm just unsure how this works with the newer phones, since I upgraded from a 4 and had all my blobs saved just in case. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

After reading about jailbreaking loopholes being closed once 7.1 is released, I ran out and upgraded to a 5S that came with 7.0.4. I upgraded to 7.0.6, jailbroke, everything is running just fine. My question is.. once 7.1 comes out, what do I do if my phone needs to be restored and jailbroken again? Will I be able to run DFU, upgrade to 7.0.6 and jailbreak again? I'm just unsure how this works with the newer phones, since I upgraded from a 4 and had all my blobs saved just in case. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Unfortunately you cannot perform custom restores on A5+ devices publicly speaking. There's an iBoot exploit that would allow you to do so, but since it's being kept private among literally a handful of individuals that you can count in one hand, it's technically not possible for us, even if you have blobs. The next best thing is to have ILEX RAT installed as it's as close to a "restore" as you can get on a jailbroken device without breaking your jailbreak. Here's a little tutorial on how ILEX RAT works, and this talks about why it's not possible to install custom IPSWs if you're interested in reading a little more on it.

This looks very helpful. My only real concern would be is if my phone got messed up somehow and I needed to get it back to a normal working and jailbroken condition and this seems like it would take care of that in most cases. Thanks so much!!