What's new

Question about iphone 4 passwords

rmd08

Reaction score
Is it just me or did apple drop the ball on the password on your phone. I noticed if I just plug the phone into the computer, you don't need the password to view all photos on the phone. Whats the point of a password if you can just view all the pictures by pluggin it into a computer? I lost my iphone yesterday and all my pictures can easily be viewed by the person who stole my phone just by putting it on their computer and plugging it in. What was the point of me making a password? Shouldn't apple have it set up that when you plug the device in before you can view all the pictures, you would be prompted to type in the devices password? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The first time you plug your phone into itunes for each computer it will ask you to unlock it if it has a passcode.

If your talking about windows camera wizard then I don't think apple have anything to to with that...

Really? I guess that makes sense, it must have asked me for the password the first time and it hasn't asked me since thats why I figured it never asked for the password. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true I definitely just dodged a huge bullet.

It will only ask you the first time. Do you not have find my iPhone set up...?

No, I made the huge mistake of not setting up the find my iphone app. Is it too late to track my phone? I already reported it to atnt and got a replacement phone and the other phone is deactivated. What's the next best thing to do? I just figured the phone was gone, and I couldn't track it.

Without find my iPhone set up then unfortunately its too late. The authorities are able to track phones but its highly unlikely they will in the case of theft of a phone.

If the IMEI (or US equivalent) is blocked then if someone did find it/steal it then they wont be able to use it as a phone. They can however use it as an iPod touch...

I just downloaded the find my iphone for my new phone so I won't make that mistake again. Is there anyway I can have at&t tap into my phone and move all the information off that phone to my new phone? I know verizon has something similar to that for 30 bucks they move all your data from one phone to the other phone, even if the phones stolen I heard. Not sure if this is true?

Haven't heard of such a thing. No harm in phoning AT&T and asking...?

I will give them a ring tomorrow. Is there anything else I can really do after the phones been stolen to increase my odds of finding it, and retrieving data off my old phone withouh actually having the phone in my hand? I canceled it, and I'm going to try and get the IMEI blocked tomorrow,

Not without find my iPhone.

If you backed up your phone you can restore from that backup on your new phone and you will have all photos etc. that you did before on the one you lost...

gaz6076 said:
Not without find my iPhone.

If you backed up your phone you can restore from that backup on your new phone and you will have all photos etc. that you did before on the one you lost...

Just to add, iirc there us a facility to clear your lost phone remotely, so sensitive data can be deleted.

CP