What's new

Problems with WiFi and physical connection

10minutemail

Reaction score
Hello,

I got an iPhone 4 that is experiencing some very annoying troubles. I dropped it about 2 months ago, and of course the screen totally shattered and had to be fixed. I did this on my own, changing both the front and the back screen, and this works just fine. The screen, lightning, touch and everything is absolutely great. However, I am experiencing the problems like said in the title, and I am hoping someone here has experienced or heard of anything like it, and that can help.

- The WiFi signal is extremely bad. Where I pick up several full signal networks on my 1. gen iPod Touch, I can not find anything on my iPhone 4.

- The physical connection to the computer doesn't respond at all. When I connect it to the computer (tried several computers and 2 Macs) it lights up and start charging, but it doesn't show up in my computer, device manager, iTunes or anything. I don't dare to put it in DFU mode in case I can't get it back, hehe.

I really hope someone can help me out here.

Kind regards,

Not sure if I can explain it any better, hehe..

The WiFi signal is extremely bad. Seems to be a problem with the antenna or something, but what and how to fix it? The range for picking up WiFi signals is very low and unstable.

About the "physical connection".. I mean the cable that goes between the iPhone and the computer / Mac. When I plug it in, the phone starts charging and makes the "connected" sound like normal, but I can not access it from any computer or Mac. It simply doesn't show up as a device anywhere, which means I can't update it, transfer photos from it to my computer or anything.

Not sure if it's safe to put it in recovery mode when the computer doesn't pick it up, don't wanna "brick" it either.

I hope this made it easier to understand, I kind of suck at explaining.

After you connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and use iTunes to backup your device to update your devices. As for collecting your photos, if you have iPhoto, then use it to collect your photos from your iPhone to iPhoto library, if you don't have iPhoto, you can use the default image capture app in your application folder to import your photos from your iPhone to your computer.

That's the problem, mate. It doesn't show up in iTunes. Neither under "my computer" or "device manager". Obviously the connection is there, as the phone is charging, but I can't do anything else other than that? Hope someone understands and can help.

Hard reset your iPhone. Download Ccleaner on your computer and install it, then run it to fix registry issues after that reboot your computer and connect your iPhone to your computer again.
Also try to blow some air into your iPhone dock connection part to remove any potential dirty preventing establishment of good connection.

Well, what if I put it in recovery mode and still it won't get recognized? Then it well be "bricked" right? As I can't access it to get it back on trakc? Like I said no computer recognizes that it is connected at all, it only charges, nothing else.

last resort is to try another cable. If it doesn't work still then take it to Apple.

I have already tried 2 cables, and I believe they both work as my phone is charging?

About taking it to Apple, I don't think they will work with it when it has unoriginal screen etc? Or will they? What do you think the price for fixing the connector and the WiFi would be?

Well, please elaborate? I can try to explain better if you tell me what problem you don't understand.

Hm, looks like the comment between my last 2 was deleted.

Oh well, still looking for any suggestions that you think might help me.