What's new

Problems Unlocking Iphone 3G (4.2.1)

gunnd5000

Reaction score
Put simply. I have an old Iphone 3G which is locked to vodafone. I tried in both of their shops to have them unlock it and neither of them could. So I decided I would use a couple youtube tutorials to try and figure out how I could do it myself.

Downloaded redsn0w and the firmware for 4.2.1. Followed the steps the video told me to follow, this didn't work, although I got as far as having the pineapple logo appear on the screen on the iphone. However after this I tried to turn the phone on and just got the symbol saying it needed to be connected to Itunes. So I did that ran the recovery or restore thing and got errors 1015 and 3914 which I have tried to remove to no avail using the recovery fix on redsn0w and then by going into computer>system(C:)>windows>system32>drivers>etc to edit the hosts file in notepad as another video suggested. However as I dont have admin rights I couldnt save the edit required and also cannot work out how to give myself permission to do so.

Perform a fresh copy of 4.2.1 on the 3G. Both jailbreak and install the iPad Baseband. At the end, if necessary, boot tethered using "Just Boot" in RedSn0w > Extras > Just Boot. Make sure you're selecting the IPSW before jailbreaking and before Just Booting. You shouldn't be receiving errors on RedSn0w.

Perform a fresh copy of 4.2.1 on the 3G.
How do I do this?

Both jailbreak and install the iPad Baseband. At the end, if necessary, boot tethered using "Just Boot" in RedSn0w > Extras > Just Boot. Make sure you're selecting the IPSW before jailbreaking and before Just Booting. You shouldn't be receiving errors on RedSn0w.
[/QUOTE]
It wont let me enter DFU mode is the problem on Redsn0w

Put the device into either Recovery or DFU mode and use iTunes to restore.

DFU mode is a physical interaction with the device, and does not require any software related utilities. You can only put a device into DFU mode while it's connected to a computer as it requires an automatic boot, which occurs when you turn off a device while plugging it in. Make sure that you're in DFU mode and not Recovery Mode.

Put the device into either Recovery or DFU mode and use iTunes to restore.

DFU mode is a physical interaction with the device, and does not require any software related utilities. You can only put a device into DFU mode while it's connected to a computer as it requires an automatic boot, which occurs when you turn off a device while plugging it in. Make sure that you're in DFU mode and not Recovery Mode.

Device is in recovery mode. Using itunes restore, I get to the stage verifying with apple, then I get this message 'The iphone 'iphone' could not be restored. An unknown error occured (3194) what next.

3194 is a host issue. Head over to your host file on your computer and remove any and all gs.apple.com hosts in there, and delete the host.umbrella file in the same directory. Then flush your DNS, and attempt again. If we're on Windows, you'd need to head over to (sample) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ and open up the file name "hosts" using something simple like Notepad. If it's a Mac, you'd need to open up Terminal, type in "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts", press return. Enter a password when prompted to, and the host file should show up. Delete any gs.apple.com host lines and save the host. Then reboot your PC and re-attempt

3194 is a host issue. Head over to your host file on your computer and remove any and all gs.apple.com hosts in there, and delete the host.umbrella file in the same directory. Then flush your DNS, and attempt again. If we're on Windows, you'd need to head over to (sample) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ and open up the file name "hosts" using something simple like Notepad. If it's a Mac, you'd need to open up Terminal, type in "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts", press return. Enter a password when prompted to, and the host file should show up. Delete any gs.apple.com host lines and save the host. Then reboot your PC and re-attempt

Great help, removed error 3194 but now I am back with 1015.

1015 is when you're attempting to restore without preserving your baseband, which occurs when you're restoring your iOS on the iPad Baseband. You'd need to use a utility like RedSn0w to restore and preserve the baseband at the same time.

1015 is when you're attempting to restore without preserving your baseband, which occurs when you're restoring your iOS on the iPad Baseband. You'd need to use a utility like RedSn0w to restore and preserve the baseband at the same time.

Okay so how do I preserve the baseband on redsn0w?

Run RedSn0w (0.9.15) as an administrator if applicable. Go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Click on IPSW and point it to the 4.2.1 IPSW. You shouldn't be prompted for blobs. If you are, click Remote. Then a pop-up will show asking whether or not you want to preserve the baseband while restoring your device. Say that you do want to preserve your baseband. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Run RedSn0w (0.9.15) as an administrator if applicable. Go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Click on IPSW and point it to the 4.2.1 IPSW. You shouldn't be prompted for blobs. If you are, click Remote. Then a pop-up will show asking whether or not you want to preserve the baseband while restoring your device. Say that you do want to preserve your baseband. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Entered DFU eventually, got a usb error... will need to sort that myself

Last edited: