What's new

Upgrading to iOS 4.2.1 for Tmobile

Rattle_Trap

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3g, and I'm trying to upgrade it to iOS 4.2.1. It was jailbroken with Blackrain previously on iOS 3.1.2, and I'm using it on Tmobile. So I started following this website's direction:
Upgrade in Itunes | Jailbroken Iphone Guide
but i think this information may be outdated.What I've done:
-I backed everything up.
-I hit "Restore" and upgraded it from 3.1.2 to 4.2.1
I haven't set it up as a new phone yet in iTunes. Now i've been trying to jailbreak it using redsn0w and pwnagetool, and i am stopped at adding the iOS 4.2.1 .ipsw to each of these programs. With redsn0w, i can add it but it gets stuck at "processing firmware…" for a long time. With pwnagetool, it never recognizes it at all.
I really hope I haven't bricked it, or even completely made it unusable for Tmobile. I don't know much about all this stuff and i really regret trying to do this. Thanks for all your help in advance!

You need to put the device ink DFU mode before you shift+click restore and point it to the IPSW. If you used any paid backup apps from Cydia, all you have to do is backup that saved cache file onto your computer and put it back in after jailbreaking.

The guide is way outdated since the RedSn0w and iTunes versions are pretty old. Do a complete restore on your 3G then jailbreak from there

Thank you for the reply. So at this point, my phone has the "emergency only" screen after the restore, which I simply clicked restore for. I didn't point it to an ispw to get to 4.2.1. You said to do a complete restore? Should I register it as a new phone on itunes and then jailbreak from there? Sorry, i'm really new to this.

As for the jailbreak, any suggestions on what to use? I've used redns0w 0.9.6b4 and 0.9.6rc16 and pwnagetool 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 and they haven't seemed to work.

Thank you for the reply. So at this point, my phone has the "emergency only" screen after the restore, which I simply clicked restore for. I didn't point it to an ispw to get to 4.2.1. You said to do a complete restore? Should I register it as a new phone on itunes and then jailbreak from there? Sorry, i'm really new to this.

As for the jailbreak, any suggestions on what to use? I've used redns0w 0.9.6b4 and 0.9.6rc16 and pwnagetool 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 and they haven't seemed to work.

Use the latest RedSn0w, which is 0.9.15beta2. You can leave it at its current state. Open up RedSn0w, select the IPSW and point it to iOs 4.2.1. Then select jailbreak. After the whole patching kernel and all when the device is in DFU, there should be several boxes to tick. Tick install cydia, deactivate, and iPad baseband(if you're going to unlock using ultrasn0w). PwnageTool is an old old old application that's nearly obsolete even for an old iPhone like the 3G.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alright! We're jailbroken! Thank you so much! Alright…what should i do now? iTunes is asking for a SIM card, and when i put in my Tmobile SIM it says that it is not supported. Any clues for me on this one?

Alright! We're jailbroken! Thank you so much! Alright…what should i do now? iTunes is asking for a SIM card, and when i put in my Tmobile SIM it says that it is not supported. Any clues for me on this one?

You had to deactivate using RedSn0w to do the initial setup on the iPhone THEN unlock using ultrasn0w in order to use a tmobile SIM.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD