What's new

Problem using Maps App on iPhone 6

Durango

Reaction score
Need help using my iPhone Maps apps. I programmed my destination, started down the route, she told me where to turn, and everything was going smoothly..........until we got to a highway intersection where she wanted me to turn right but I chose to go straight because I wanted to take a different route.

After that she quit talking to me, and I could see 'Recalculating' on the screen. When I finally reached a place where I could stop and look at the screen, I saw the message “Data Connection Required”. I had just assumed that I was using cellular service after I got out of range of my Wi-Fi. So what did this message mean? What do you think my problem was, and what caused it?

Thanks in advance............

Did you go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data and make sure it's turned on? Without cellular data the navigation function of Apple maps will not work.

Not just that but then scroll down to the list of apps and make sure Maps is also toggled on to be used with cellular data.

Did you go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data and make sure it's turned on? Without cellular data the navigation function of Apple maps will not work.
Thanks for your response. No, Cellular was not turned on....that was my problem. I guess I falsely assumed that my smartphone would turn cellular on when it needed it.

Another thing I don't fully understand. I set my destination and route while at home where I have wifi. I'm thinking the Maps app stored that data and was not using cellular until such time that I deviated from the route that Maps wanted me to take. The first 8 miles or so where OK, and I was getting turning directions from Maps. Then I arrived at an intersection where Maps told me to turn right but I kept going straight. That's when the screen seemed to lock up on 'Recalculating', and Maps quit working.

Not just that but then scroll down to the list of apps and make sure Maps is also toggled on to be used with cellular data.
Thanks for your response. Yes, that was on......but I had not turned Cellular on.

Thanks for your response. No, Cellular was not turned on....that was my problem. I guess I falsely assumed that my smartphone would turn cellular on when it needed it.

Another thing I don't fully understand. I set my destination and route while at home where I have wifi. I'm thinking the Maps app stored that data and was not using cellular until such time that I deviated from the route that Maps wanted me to take. The first 8 miles or so where OK, and I was getting turning directions from Maps. Then I arrived at an intersection where Maps told me to turn right but I kept going straight. That's when the screen seemed to lock up on 'Recalculating', and Maps quit working.
When you set up the route while on WiFi the maps app cached the maps between the start and destination of your trip. As soon as you left your pre-planned route, there were no more cached maps and the turn by turn directions stopped.

Actually, I think the opposite of you, Durango. Apple maps will speak directions to you so if all it was doing was showing the route without verbal directions you either didn't hit start or it stopped as soon as you were out of wifi range but was still displaying the route as shown until you lost wifi. I can get about 100 ft out of my garage before I lise wifi.

When you set up the route while on WiFi the maps app cached the maps between the start and destination of your trip. As soon as you left your pre-planned route, there were no more cached maps and the turn by turn directions stopped.
That's what I thought........route data was stored (I just couldn't think of the word cached). Today when I took another short trip, I knew/remembered to turn Cellular Data on, and everything worked great. And my screen showed AT&T LTE. I had the volume up as loud as possible, but I could still barely hear the voice.

Thanks for your response.

Actually, I think the opposite of you, Durango. Apple maps will speak directions to you so if all it was doing was showing the route without verbal directions you either didn't hit start or it stopped as soon as you were out of wifi range but was still displaying the route as shown until you lost wifi. I can get about 100 ft out of my garage before I lise wifi.
Per my original post, I didn't say it was not giving verbal directions......it was until I strayed from the pre-selected route. Then it quit talking to me. scifan57 explained well what had happened to me.......stored the route while at home on wifi, then strayed from it down the road and didn't have Cellular turned on.

But I am like you, I lose wifi about 100 feet from my house.

I can hear Siri fine. Make sure your cas doesn't muffle the sound. I also notice if my thumb is resting against the speaker holes it completely muffles the sound so where ever you keep the phone may be an issue. HTH

I can hear Siri fine. Make sure your cas doesn't muffle the sound. I also notice if my thumb is resting against the speaker holes it completely muffles the sound so where ever you keep the phone may be an issue. HTH
You are absolutely correct......I just placed the phone in a cup holder, with the speaker down in the holder. I'm sure this muffled the sound, so I will have to secure it differently. I looked at those holders that fasten to the air vents, but once before with another device I didn't have much luck with those. Any ideas on that?

I'll be honest with you. I just plug the iPhone into the charger and toss it on the passenger seat. Works fine that way. When I have a front seat passenger I put it in the slot under the stereo. I just realized recently how much easier it is to muffle the sound on this than I had noticed on my other two iphones.