What's new

Possible virus?

Lynsey

Reaction score
Hi,
Having some problems lately, especially on Safari. Using a 5c on 7.0.4.
Searched for Amazon on Safari last night (google is default search engine), and clicked on the top result, which was the google ad for Amazon right at the top of page in it's own box.
Next thing I was being redirected to a thread on some strange forum. I hit back and clicked the Amazon result again, to be taken back to the same forum but a different thread. I repeated this process a few times before coming out and clearing cache etc.
I noticed that before getting to the forum it said track.serp.ip in the task bar - is this a virus? I thought those weren't possible on apple devices? Have a been hacked somehow? Don't like seeing the word 'track' come up..

You don't have a virus. What you have is an ad with a forced redirect to an ad site. Clearing your cache and cookies and staying away from sites like that are the only things you can do.

You don't have a virus. What you have is an ad with a forced redirect to an ad site. Clearing your cache and cookies and staying away from sites like that are the only things you can do.

Many thanks for your reply. What I find confusing though is that it was Amazon, on the official link at the top of google - not really a site to avoid. And also what does the 'track.serp.it' mean? This came up in the browser before the forum website came up?
Thanks for your help with this.

SERP means "search engine results page". It's possible to track search engine keyword rankings.
Thank you - I saw that after googling - why would that come up after clicking on an Amazon ad URL, any ideas?

Because the people behind the redirect link know you won't click on their link if they tell you who they are but you will if they say they are Amazon.
And you don't have the best malware protection on your phone if you are in IOS 7.04. The most current IOS is 8.3.

Because the people behind the redirect link know you won't click on their link if they tell you who they are but you will if they say they are Amazon.
And you don't have the best malware protection on your phone if you are in IOS 7.04. The most current IOS is 8.3.

I know, I need to clear some space to update to the latest version.
I just didn't think that the Amazon link at the very top of Google would be likely to be corrupt in any way.
Also still confused as to why it'd say track.serp.it before hitting the science forum that it took me to..That was another strange aspect - it wasn't even a chat site or an ad site that I was redirected to, it was just a forum.

If you do your upgrade over iTunes with your computer, rather than over the air you need less space. Unless you started clicking on things at the site you were directed to you don't know what their "game" was. Needless to say, the top spot on the Google list is either purchased or obtained thru other means. You have to look below the blue line to go to regular search results.