What's new

PLEASE HELP......just need to recover photos from phone

kb24

Reaction score
Hi, I have a jailbroken Iphone 4 and i dropped it recently and it now shows the plug to itunes image on the screen and reads "Restore Needed, iphone cannot make or receive calls.Restore from iTunes"

I dont care about the phone being damaged, I just really really need the photos from the phone of my child I took.
I didnt back up my phone since February (I know its stupid) and now I cant access anything from my phone.

I tried using itunes but because my phone has a pass lock on it, it tells me I need to unlock it but I can access the screen to unlock it.

I am so upset. I even went to the Apple store and the "genius" said to me that he can only restore it and I would lose all my photos.

I would appreciate ANY help on retrieving my photos please please.

What can I do?

Thank you

Does iTunes recognize your phone though? Like does it show on the side bar.

Does iTunes recognize your phone though? Like does it show on the side bar.

when i plug my phone in it reads on itunes "itunes cannot connect to the iphone "name" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter the passcode on the iphone before it can be used with itunes"

but I cant unlock it because I cant access anything

Another box also comes up and says "Photos in the camera roll of "name" cannot be imported because the device is locked with a passcode"

:(

Download iExplorer. Run it as administrator, then plug in your iPhone. Then go to the Photos Library directory.

Download iExplorer. Run it as administrator, then plug in your iPhone. Then go to the Photos Library directory.

Thanks, I tried it but it wouldnt even recognize that my phone was plugged in. I thought maybe it was because it was the trial version so I tried my friends iphone 5 and it recognized it right away.

And I dont know what you mean by running it as administrator.

Any other ideas??

I don't think you will be able to get round this :(

The device encryption will remain in place until the device is unlocked with the passcode and connected to the PC at least once. After that the decryption keys are stored on the PC and you are good to go.

It sounds to me like you have never connected this phone to this PC since the passcode was first enabled. In that scenario, there is no way to bypass the encryption. You simply need to unlock the device with the passcode, but as you have stated, you cannot do that.

I've never encoutered an iPhone with that message on screen before. I take it you cannot use TinyUmbrella or redsn0w to kick the device out of recovery mode and get it back to the passcode lock screen? I very much doubt it, but worth a try.

Other than that, you are out of luck. It is easy to get the passcode from the device by hacking (and I assume you know it anyway), but the code is on no use if there is no way to input it to the phone screen, so the decryption keys necessary for the device driver cannot be generated.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

Good luck!

I don't think you will be able to get round this :(

The device encryption will remain in place until the device is unlocked with the passcode and connected to the PC at least once. After that the decryption keys are stored on the PC and you are good to go.

It sounds to me like you have never connected this phone to this PC since the passcode was first enabled. In that scenario, there is no way to bypass the encryption. You simply need to unlock the device with the passcode, but as you have stated, you cannot do that.

I've never encoutered an iPhone with that message on screen before. I take it you cannot use TinyUmbrella or redsn0w to kick the device out of recovery mode and get it back to the passcode lock screen? I very much doubt it, but worth a try.

Other than that, you are out of luck. It is easy to get the passcode from the device by hacking (and I assume you know it anyway), but the code is on no use if there is no way to input it to the phone screen, so the decryption keys necessary for the device driver cannot be generated.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

Good luck!

I tried re jailbreaking it with absinth but it says I need to unlock it before it continues and with redsnow i follow the insturctions to put it in dfu mode and it then continues but stops and says "missing Keys.plist data for this build." so they dont work.

And I just downloaded tinyumbrella but have no idea how to use it and it doesnt even look like it recognizes my phone.

I wish there was a way to unlock it somehow so that maybe image capture would recognize it and then i can dump all my pics.
I am so upset, im going to lose so many memories if there is no way around this :(
thank you for your help tho

No, as I said, you won't get anywhere without being able to unlock the phone first, and you need to unlock it with the keypad on the screen, which you can't do. There are no tools which will work, since they need the device to be unlocked one time, in order to detect it. You can't kick it out of recovery as I suggested above (I didn't think that one through!).

I'm afraid it is just a very sore lesson in making sure you take some kind of regular backup if your phone is going to store things that are really important to you :(

No, as I said, you won't get anywhere without being able to unlock the phone first, and you need to unlock it with the keypad on the screen, which you can't do. There are no tools which will work, since they need the device to be unlocked one time, in order to detect it. You can't kick it out of recovery as I suggested above (I didn't think that one through!).

I'm afraid it is just a very sore lesson in making sure you take some kind of regular backup if your phone is going to store things that are really important to you :(

so no hope huh? :(
f'n sucks so bad.
thanks for all your help tho

Hey have any of you heard about this way to maybe fix my phone?

SOLUTION!!!!

Step 1
Download: make_noerase_ipsw_r1.exe

Step 2
Drag n Drop YOUR CURRENT VERSION (any version works, 3.x, 4.x, even 5.x) onto the program, and wait till it makes the UPG_blah_blah.ipsw file

Step 3
Put your iDevice into "PwndDFU Mode" using: iREB

Step 4
Download: TinyUmbrella

Step 5
Run TinyUmbrella & press the: "TSS Server" button
(MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE LOG TAB IF YOU GET A WARNING SAYING "CANNOT START TSS SERVER", you have to end all conflicting tasks)

Step 6
Open iTunes and your iDevice will show up to restore, hold SHIFT and click on Restore & choose the UPG_blah_blah.ipsw file

Step 7
Your phone will restore about half way, don't worry you won't loose any thing. You will get "iTunes Error (1013)"

Step 8
Press OK, close iTunes; Turn Off the TSS Server & close TinyUmbrella.

Step 9
Download redsn0w for your device.
I have uploaded all of the versions I have here: HotFile.com Folders - NicholasLAranda: redsn0w Versions

DO NOT, AND I REPEAT: DO NOT HAVE CYDIA CHECKED!!!
YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR JAILBROKEN STATE & HAVE TO DO A FULL RESTORE ANYWAYS!!!

Step 10
Enter normal DFU mode & just jailbreak your device, pointing to the FACTORY ipsw for your current firmware, NOT the UPG_blah_blah.ipsw file.
DO NOT CLOSE redsn0w EVEN IF IT SAYS: "THE REST OF THIS PROCESS TAKES PLACE ON YOUR DEVICE"

And that's it. Enjoy your phone, out of boot loop WITH ALL OF YOUR APPS, MUSIC, CONTACTS, PICTURES, SETTINGS & MOVIES, NOTES, JAILBROKEN TWEAKS, ETC

I tried it but just on the first step to download that program it wouldnt work, I think it is for a PC but I have a Mac....

I hate to sound like a broken record, by there is no way to fix your problem for the reasons laid out above.
That is a very old article, and will not solve your issue. Sorry.

Please explain further. Can my iPhone password be hacked via some vulnerability or back door?

Since you don't explain what device and what type of passcode you are using, I can't answer that specific question, but I can provide the context to my comment in this thread which was specifically about the iPhone4.

Devices with a known bootrom exploit, including A4 devices susceptible to limera1n, can be brute force attacked to decipher a simple passcode, such as the standard 4 digit one most folks use.

The Gecko toolkit is a freely available toolkit for performing the attack. It is discussed here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/gecko-iphone-toolkit-43268/

If you have an A4 device and are worried about security, you should typically set a complex passcode, probably with more than 8 characters... ;) It is unlikely that a brute force attack would yield results in a reasonable timeframe in such a setup.

Other devices, from the iPhone4S up are not currently susceptible to these types of attacks as they have no known bootrom exploits, meaning the brute force attack protection built into the device cannot be bypassed.

Last edited:
Since you don't explain what device and what type of passcode you are using, I can't answer that specific question, but I can provide the context to my comment in this thread which was specifically about the iPhone4.

Devices with a known bootrom exploit, including A4 devices susceptible to limera1n, can be brute force attacked to decipher a simple passcode, such as the standard 4 digit one most folks use.

The Gecko toolkit is a freely available toolkit for performing the attack. It is discussed here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/gecko-iphone-toolkit-43268/

If you have an A4 device and are worried about security, you should typically set a complex passcode, probably with more than 8 characters... ;) It is unlikely that a brute force attack would yield results in a reasonable timeframe in such a setup.

Other devices, from the iPhone4S up are not currently susceptible to these types of attacks as they have no known bootrom exploits, meaning the brute force attack protection built into the device cannot be bypassed.

I just recently upgraded from the i4 to the i5. But I was concerned that there might a back door. I have always known that a weak password will make any encryption weak. Is Apple using AES 128 bit encryption when iPhones are locked?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Use snow breeze to put iPhone into dfu mode

Download the ipsw that is currently on your phone

Get into dfu with snow breeze then open iTunes and hold down shift then click restore and then choose your ipsw that is currently on your phone

If your using a Mac I forget what button I press when iTunes opens

Any help needed message me

Good luck