What's new

Please advise how to make complaint to AT&T and Apple over iPhone 4

uncle6

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently just became an AT&T customer for an iPhone. But I am already very angry even without the mood to try out their cellular service.

Day 1, I signed up at an AT&T store. Once I got home I notice there were three issues regarding the screen:

1. Having yellow tint (so white looks like yellowish-white)
2. I can see horizontal lines showing up and then "melt" into the screen, and showing up again.
3. A small scratch/hair at the center of the screen, underneath the glass (i rubbed the area many many times and the scratch/hair does not come off)

But to be fair, the phone has no other issues yet other than these.

Day 2, I brought it to the store and asking for exchange. At first one of the staff told me there will be 10% restocking fee, and I argued that the device was received just the day before, and the AT&T staff did not mention about restocking fee until after I signed and the restocking fee statement showed up on the back of receipt. Then they grew tired of me and simply sending me away to Apple store and said all exchange must be handled by Apple. The Apple people on the phone agreed that the screen is defected and agreed to exchange me with a "Service Phone". When asked what Service Phone mean, they reply it is BASICALLY a new phone, but doesn't make their way to the original packaging box. I further asked, it turn out its also called "Re-manufactured" phone. I hanged up with a lot of confusion.

Day 3. I went to Apple store in person and meet with the geniuses. They basically said the same thing by agreeing to exchange me a Service Phone, but this time they said its in fact NOT "Re-manufactured" phone. So I asked why am I not given a brand new exchange after only 2 days since I purchased it. They told me if I get the phone from Apple store then there is 14 days brand new exchange period, but not for the phone purchased from AT&T. But what difference does it make, either way I am buying Apple product and signing with the only-allowed AT&T service. Plus, if the AT&T had told me about this buy-at-apple-store advantage, I would have gone to Apple to do the whole thing.
Finally, another apple service manager tried to convince me once again the accept the Service Phone by saying that its almost as good as new one, and this time he came up yet another explanation: "One out of ten Service Phone might be refurbished, but we have no way to track which one". What? After all this you finally said this? I just wasted 2 days trying to get them say this.

First of all, if I am the unlucky one and purchased a defected phone, I should be given a brand new exchange right? Especially just after 2 days of purchasing?

Second of all, none of them has definitive answer as to what Service Phone is (or they just dont want to tell you), this is rather deceptive.

So does anyone know where can I make such complaint? (or if my argument is wrong?).

Thanks for reading this lengthy description.

Just get the refurb.... You can exchange it as many times as you have problems..... I have exchanged a few and if they don't look/work perfect they are happy to give you another..... What other phone manufacture does that?

Yeah, I was also thinking of compromising...

But somewhere in my mind just trying to stand up against these evil giants....

Paranoid way to think: AT&T could have bought the not so perfect phones from Apple at a lower price, its possible since they produce a huge amount in a short time, and Apple of course wont replace you with a perfect one.

Guy at the office bought a refurb unit from ATT for $149.00 Turns out to be defective. Went to apple, and they gave him a replacement unit. Looks new and works perfectly, and since it was still in September, he qualified for a free case. I know I know, most of us want to buy a new phone.

Yeah, I was also thinking of compromising...

But somewhere in my mind just trying to stand up against these evil giants....

Paranoid way to think: AT&T could have bought the not so perfect phones from Apple at a lower price, its possible since they produce a huge amount in a short time, and Apple of course wont replace you with a perfect one.

Yea, I understand the I want a new one thing.... I did the mail exchange on one of my 3GS phones & got one that had a little spec of dust between the glass and they were more than happy to overnight me another... I wouldn't get too fussed over it they'll take care of you. (apple that is :)

The exchange phones have never been used. They are as good as a new phone.

Marc

Thanks guys, you made feel much better about the Service Phone. I will just go get one then. I guess after a few day my anger went away.

I thought that the i4 can be returned for a full refund.