What's new

Play a song without playing the following song

jmt356

Reaction score
Play a song without playing the following song
Is it possible to play a song in the iPhone 4 music app without having the iPhone then play the next song? In other words, I only want the iPhone 4 to play the song I select and then not automatically progress to the next song after the song that I selected stops running.

Create a playlist with just that song. It will stop playing as soon as the song ends.

Is a playlist the same as an album? If not, how do I create a playlist? Is it created from within the iPhone or from iTunes?

A playlist is created in the Music app, and it's not the same as an album.
Into a playlist, you can put songs you'd like to hear, but they also can be from different albums.

My iPhone is up to date, but I hope you'll be able to follow my advice to create a playlist.

In the Music app, tap the Playlists tab at the bottom. You'll find "Genius Playlist" and "New Playlist" at the top of the page afterwards. Tap "New Playlist". You'll have to enter a name for your playlist and save it. On the next page, you'll see the name of the playlist, and "no songs" below. Tap there again. Now select Songs, Artists, Albums or More (bottom again). If you just want to add one song, just tap Song. The songs will all have a red plus sign at the right. Scroll to the song you'd like and tap the plus. Then tap "Done" (top right). And return to Playlists (bottom tab). Your new playlist will be there with the song you selected. Tap the playlist and the song to listen to it.

It was possible to create playlists in iTunes (computer), but I don't know if it's still possible, or how to create a playlist there.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, J.A. I never looked into making a playlist on the iDevice itself - never thought it was possible (or never looked into doing it). Pretty clever way to make a playlist "on the fly."

And yes, you can make a playlist in iTunes (which is the only way I have ever made a playlist).

You make a playlist in iTunes by clicking on the "File" button and selecting New > Playlist. You name the list as you desire and then click an "Add To..." button to add any song(s) you desire. The AddTo button automatically appears...

You can also add songs to any playlist by right-clicking on it and selecting the line "Add to Playlist."

Then, you can sync the playlist over to your phone (or iPad) and then use it there.

Marilyn

Thanks from me too J.A, I too have only ever made playlists in iTunes on my Mac then transferred to my other devices, We keep learning eh :)

A playlist is created in the Music app, and it's not the same as an album.
Into a playlist, you can put songs you'd like to hear, but they also can be from different albums.

My iPhone is up to date, but I hope you'll be able to follow my advice to create a playlist.

In the Music app, tap the Playlists tab at the bottom. You'll find "Genius Playlist" and "New Playlist" at the top of the page afterwards. Tap "New Playlist". You'll have to enter a name for your playlist and save it. On the next page, you'll see the name of the playlist, and "no songs" below. Tap there again. Now select Songs, Artists, Albums or More (bottom again). If you just want to add one song, just tap Song. The songs will all have a red plus sign at the right. Scroll to the song you'd like and tap the plus. Then tap "Done" (top right). And return to Playlists (bottom tab). Your new playlist will be there with the song you selected. Tap the playlist and the song to listen to it.

It was possible to create playlists in iTunes (computer), but I don't know if it's still possible, or how to create a playlist there.

Yes you can make playlists in iTunes, you can even make smart playlists where you set filters and it generates a playlist based on those filters. Smart playlists can be either static or dynamic the choice is yours.

Since my music library is so large it won't fit on my 32Gb iPhone 5c, well it would if I converted the songs to a lower bitrate and didn't have any apps but how fun would that be? So what I do is I have a smart playlist that selects 750 of my least recently played songs and syncs them to my iPhone. This way the music that's on my phone is constantly changing, yet I have room for apps and other stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes you can make playlists in iTunes, you can even make smart playlists where you set filters and it generates a playlist based on those filters. Smart playlists can be either static or dynamic the choice is yours.

Since my music library is so large it won't fit on my 32Gb iPhone 5c, well it would if I compressed the songs and didn't have any apps but how fun would that be? So what I do is I have a smart playlist that selects 750 of my least recently played songs and syncs them to my iPhone. This way the music that's on my phone is constantly changing, yet I have room for apps and other stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
This gets better, I didn't know that either.