What's new

Phone turning off when battery is low, but not dangerously low

bknewtype

Reaction score
hello all

iv had this problem for a while, but thought id post it up now since i just encountered this again. im not sure if this is normal, but my phone will randomly turn off when it hits a low battery percentage, but not low to the point where it should turn off. it turns off by itself at around 18% and i need to plug i tback in before it turns on again. iv had times where i can still use my phone at 1%, so i cant imagine why the phone would turn off at around 18%. also the fact that the second i plug the charger in, the phone instantly turns on. is this normal? anyone else encounters this?

iv had this problem since iv owned the iphone 5 w/ ios 6.1,3, now 7.0.3.

will give it a shot. but is it ok if it turns off, plug it in to get it back up and running, then drain it? or should it only be drained consistantly without being turned off

You don't have to drain the battery in one shot, you can use the phone as you normally do until the battery runs down. When charging, don't use the phone at the same time. Let us know if it works.

You don't have to drain the battery in one shot, you can use the phone as you normally do until the battery runs down. When charging, don't use the phone at the same time. Let us know if it works.

Thanks. Will report back in a few days as it happens randomly.

Via iPhone 5 Tapatalk

was just typing had 5% battery left and phone just died. plugged it in started up @ 8%

Is your iPhone still under warranty? If you can't solve the battery draining issue, you may want to consider a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store. They can run a full diagnostic on your phone to determine if your problem is hardware related or not.

Is your iPhone still under warranty? If you can't solve the battery draining issue, you may want to consider a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store. They can run a full diagnostic on your phone to determine if your problem is hardware related or not.

warranty expired 2 months ago sadly. if it didnt, i woulda been there haha

Mine did this after the 7 update, it would die at 32%. It did this about 10 times and hasn't done it since.

Mine does this as well. It typically takes a few attempts but if I try to power back on after it drains and shuts off mine will eventually start back up again, typically with the battery anywhere from 10-20% remaining. So I repeat this until it shuts down around 1% and I can't get it to power on again at all, then I will charge. I also try to not use it while charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

You could always try a factory restore,maybe that would also sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone

phone turned off itself while listening to music at 23%. tried to turn back on, says need to plug in charger. walked for 10 minutes and it automatically turned back on. showed 20%. 5 seconds later it jumped down to 6%.

im thinkin if the battery reading is off...

edit* plugged in at 6%, 5 minutes later its already at 18%...

I am having the same issues. I consistently run battery down to power off, but it still continues to shut off between 10 and 20%. this started after the 7.0 update.

glad to know im not alone with this. however, i had this issue before 7.0 as well ( jailbroken 6.1.2 )