What's new

Personal Hotspot question

k7lvo

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this question.

Even with the hotspot on my phone turned on, and the connection set up on my computer, I have to open Personal Hotspot in Settings to make the connection. How can I get the connection to happen automatically, without having to do anything to the phone?

I hope this is the right place for this question.

Even with the hotspot on my phone turned on, and the connection set up on my computer, I have to open Personal Hotspot in Settings to make the connection. How can I get the connection to happen automatically, without having to do anything to the phone?
You need a Mac running the latest version of OSX Yosemite for that to happen.

So there's no way to make this work with an android tablet?

This only works between iPhones and iPads with cellular capability which are on iOS 8 and a Mac computer on OSX Yosemite.

Thanks for the info.

For the first time in years I may jailbreak my phone...

My application is I'm using a non-cellular android tablet mounted in my car. I want to be able to leave my personal hotspot on and have it connect without any intervention when I get in the car.

Edit: I may be ahead of the curve for JB. I haven't paid any attention to that for a long time...

I'm not familiar with Android tablets and don't know if it's possible for them to connect automatically to an iPhone hotspot. Also, leaving your iPhone hotspot feature on continuously is a large battery drain.

Thanks for all your help!

I hadn't considered the battery. Good point.

I've connected iPads to iPhones, iPhones to iPhones, and pc notebooks to iphones, and I've never had it automatic. (Run into the store for a cold drink - fiddle with the iPhone to get the connection back.)

As an aside, I've also yet to find a cellular hotspot that doesn't take babysitting. The ones I've had overheat and shut down easily if it gets a little warm in the car (I'm talking about while I'm driving, not leaving it the car all day with the windows rolled up...) and you have to unplug them when they've fully charged.

Maybe I just want too much. Lol!