What's new

Owners of iPhone 3GS can now safely upgrade to iOS 6

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-iphone-3g11.jpeg

Even if Apple decided to shun the iPhone 3GS from its shelves in retails stores, it doesn’t mean users who still employ the device won’t be able to update their devices to the new operating system released by Apple – the iOS 6. Sure, some of the newest features will be non-functional, but the process will render the iPhone 3GS the oldest smartphone able to run a contemporary operating system.

So owners of the iPhone 3GS willing to upgrade to iOS 6 will be happy to find out they will enjoy several improvements including: Do Not Disturb, an upgraded Safari experience which comes packed with iCloud Tabs, the Passbook app, extremely tight Facebook integration, Sheet sharing, Camera exposure lock, Photo Streams that can be shared and also some updates in the Mail department.

Nevertheless as we said above the news isn’t all good. Users familiar with iOS 6 will surely remark the absence of the new 3D Maps and Flyover Apple service, Turn by Turn Navigation, the Panorama camera capture facility, Safari’s Offline Reading List and the hearing aid support system “Made for iPhone”. The iOS 6 has already been tested on 3G devices and reports say that the new OS does not render operations slower and the smartphone usability rate remains the same.

Why did Apple choose to allow an iOS 6 update for the seemingly old iPhone 3GS. Well apparently there are quite a lot of iPhone 3GS users out there and Cupertino wants to spread the new operating system as much as it can.

By Radu

Source: iOS 6 gives iPhone 3GS another year of life support

That's cool that those who either want to buy the much cheaper 3GS(they are sold in some retail stores here in AUS still and of course on eBay) or already have it can have the newest IOS :)

I own an iPhone 3GS. I updated to ios6, now my phone is inoperable! I would STRONGLY advise against upgrading!!

does that make the 3gs much slower or doesn't it effect the CPU?

It's not just the 3GS... users of all devices are experiencing issues w/ iOS 6. More often than not a clean restore as a New Device will woe away any problems.

Not had any issues with my 3Gs having just added the IOS 6 upgrade, but then again i have just bought the phone from a friend so put it back to factory settings and started again, at the same time i added the new sofware.... this is why i maybe have not had any issues ?