What's new

Outlook Contacts Question

Turtle44

Reaction score
Hello everyone: I just received my new IPhone 5 (company issued). Previously I had been using a Crackberry. One of the first things I have noted is that when I attempt a long distance call the IPH5 does not add the 1 for long distance like the Crackberry did (through Smart Dailing feature). Almost all of my 2200 contact are not set up with a "1" prefix. Any suggestions on how I can deal with this a side from going into each and every contact and adjusting the numbers?

A head of time thanks for any and all help with this matter.

Turtle44

Hook: Thanks for the reply. No most of my contacts donot have the 1 pefix (which is the problem). Example 403-XXX-XXXX, so when i call that type of number I get a response from the system that my call is a long distance call and to not get this message to add a "1" before the 10 digit calling number or I will get a response of this is a LD call and to redail with the "1" in front of the 10 digit calling number and the call with not be completed. As I stated earlier the Crackberry did not encounter this because they use a "Smart Calling feature that you can add the country number and the phone did it automatically for me. The only option I see right now is to go into my contacts and add the pre-fix. Unless someone else has another idea or way to approach the problem. I talked to Apple IT and they had not suggestions.

Hook: No it's the difference in the phones. In canada when you call LD you must put a "1" in front of the 10 digit calling number. I not sure where you are but would be surprised if your not the same.

Hook: No it's the difference in the phones. In canada when you call LD you must put a "1" in front of the 10 digit calling number. I not sure where you are but would be surprised if your not the same.
I agree with Hook
I am not in Canada nor is Hook
I dont need a 1 to call long distance, just the area code preceeded by + as in +64 4 xx xxx xxxx to call NZ (64) Wellington (4) cell (xx) number (xxx xxxx)
USA is +1
The plus (+) sign can be substituted with 00 (zero zero)

Last edited:
Hey Guys: Thanks again for the discussion. DB I agree it's not a problem with the phone. I love the phone compared to the Crackberry its miles ahead. It is just missing this one feature of being able to prepend the 10 digit dialing number, with a 1 or whatever number would be required. Most of Canada has gone to a 10 digit dialing system that comprises of a 3 digit area code and a 7 digit customer specific number. We also have local and long distance calling. Local for the most part is still free, while LD has a charge (which varies depending on where and when you are calling). So lets compare what I call to what you call. a local number for me is 403-XXX-XXXX and a LD call is 1-403-XXX-XXXX. If I'm reading your post correct for local calling for you would be 4XX-XXX-XXXX (like your neigbour down the street) and to call NZ you have to dial +64 4XX-XXX-XXXX. In that case your 64 is the same as my 1. Make sense?

Hook: Are you saying that if you make a call from Ohio to California you dont need to put a one in front of the number? That is strange I have been in the US with a US cell phone and had to add a 1 to a number when I was calling to a different state. Maybe Versizon has a way that they are prepending the number automatically for you, because you are right the phone companies systems should be smart enough to know that the area code is out side your local calling area and just deal with it.

I will keep looking and see what I can find. If I find something I will post it here.

Thanks again

Verizon went to a full 10 digit US dialing system several years back. So every call is treated as long distance technically and then they decided if it is local after the call is connected.

@ turtle. I have always put the country code in (+64) for when I travel internationally. It is not needed for national calls, local or LD, just the area code (403 in your case ). This way I have avoided the problem you have.
To append the country code to the numbers you have could be tedious unless you know how to export them to a spreadsheet, do the change, and reimport them back.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

dbplumb said:
@ turtle. I have always put the country code in (+64) for when I travel internationally. It is not needed for national calls, local or LD, just the area code (403 in your case ). This way I have avoided the problem you have.
To append the country code to the numbers you have could be tedious unless you know how to export them to a spreadsheet, do the change, and reimport them back.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

This pretty much says it.
I also miss this feature from the blackberry. Unfortunately I have found no way except to edit all my numbers that I will be calling long distance.

Good Day All: I just wanted to let you I have it figured out. Needless to say there is nothing that can be done with the Iphone itself. I also work with the Cardscan system to enter my business cards into their program and Outlook. In the Cardscan program you can set the phone number format (under preferences). I simply adjusted the format in Cardscan and re-sync'd with Outlook.

Good Day All: I just wanted to let you I have it figured out. Needless to say there is nothing that can be done with the Iphone itself. I also work with the Cardscan system to enter my business cards into their program and Outlook. In the Cardscan program you can set the phone number format (under preferences). I simply adjusted the format in Cardscan and re-sync'd with Outlook.

I'm glad you got it figured out, but to be honest I have no idea how you did it. I have no idea of what Cardscan is (app for iPhone or something else).

I'm just curious how exactly it worked. And you were able to get the one in your contacts on the iPhone, correct?

Hook: Cardscan is a product that I used to scan business cards and then sync them with Outlook. Check out the link. DYMO Global. Their product comes with its own software for scanning and syncing. It was in their setup that I found the ability to set the phone number format that placed the "1" in front of all my phone, fax, mobile numbers etc. so that when I sync'd again with Outlook all my contacts were setup correctly. Since me phone is set up to synch with outlook I get the same settings on the phone. Make sense?