What's new

Otterbox Defender issue

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I had an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone4 for at least two years with no issues whatsoever. I've had the Defender on my Iphone 5 for a little over a month and the rubber is already wearing through where the holster clips on to the phone. Wearing on both sides. The hard plastic finger that sticks out on the clip/release flange is too long. It takes too much pressure to snap the phone into place and an equal amount of pressure to release the phone. The little finger exerts too much pressure on the thin strip of rubber at that point and is rapidly destroying the rubber. . I don't think mine will last more than a couple more weeks.
I've considered grinding the the little trigger flap down a wee bit but that doesn't solve the production problem.

Has anyone else had this issue and how have you remedied it?

I also don't really like the new design of the holster. You have to fiddle with the phone until you get it just right before it will snap into place.

I would suggest contacting Otterbox customer service. They'll most likely send you a new case and holster if you're unsatisfied w/ your current. Perhaps the case you have fell within a production error and a newer model won't have those issues.